Thread: Deepin 2014 Linux Distribution Released

Hybrid View

Default Deepin 2014 Linux Distribution Released

Phoronix: Deepin 2014 Linux Distribution Released

This weekend marks the release of Deepin 2014...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNTU

I have to admit i like the design, it has the simplistic feel of gnome 3 without leaving all desktop design paradigments of the last 20 years behind.

Though i fully intent to test it in a virtual machine ... Pity its based on Ubuntu, i vastly prefer rolling release distros these days.
    Might be nice for the linux machines i maintain for friends and family though, simplistic and static is real good there.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
    Though i fully intent to test it in a virtual machine ... Pity its based on Ubuntu, i vastly prefer rolling release distros these days.
    Do you use any rolling release distro apart from Arch or Gentoo and their derivatives? Frankly, there aren't many options out there. Also, I don't count Debian Sid or LMDE to be rolling release.

Quote Originally Posted by a2r-l View Post
    Do you use any rolling release distro apart from Arch or Gentoo and their derivatives? Frankly, there aren't many options out there. Also, I don't count Debian Sid or LMDE to be rolling release.
    I remember reading about turning OpenSUSE into rolling release through a few simple steps, though I never got around to trying it. It is called Tumbleweed if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I remember reading about turning OpenSUSE into rolling release through a few simple steps, though I never got around to trying it. It is called Tumbleweed if I recall correctly.
    Tumbleweed is similar to Fedora Rawhide, if I am not mistaken, i.e., not exactly a conventional rolling release distro.

Quote Originally Posted by a2r-l View Post
    Tumbleweed is similar to Fedora Rawhide, if I am not mistaken, i.e., not exactly a conventional rolling release distro.
    Nope, it's a rolling release. Fedora Rawhide equals openSUSE Factory.
    You just need to switch your repositories to the tumbleweed version and run zypper dup.

http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed