Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutelyst 0.2.0 Released: A Web Framework Powered By Qt 5

Default Cutelyst 0.2.0 Released: A Web Framework Powered By Qt 5

Phoronix: Cutelyst 0.2.0 Released: A Web Framework Powered By Qt 5

Nearly a half-year after the original release of Cutelyst, the second version is now available of this web framework powered by Qt5...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNTM

Can't even find screenshots, let alone a demo website. Is this really a web framework?

After reading this article i have no idea what cutelyst does and what is it for.

Default Re

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    After reading this article i have no idea what cutelyst does and what is it for.
    Well, then it's not for you...
    It's clear Cutelyst is to Qt/C++ what is Express to NodeJS...
    And I looked at the example and seems that the way of deploying your server is very similar to Express on NodeJS...

Yay for hosting on Gitorious (not sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    Well, then it's not for you...
    It's clear Cutelyst is to Qt/C++ what is Express to NodeJS...
    And I looked at the example and seems that the way of deploying your server is very similar to Express on NodeJS...
    Well okay. And I'm familiar/code with Qt5 so that's a plus. But is there a compelling reason to use Cutelyst rather than say the (somewhat) more mature Wt webtoolkit?

C++ should get a great and rock solid framework based on the MCV pattern and stop trying to develop websites like a desktop application, which is really different. Even though I think PHP is a horrible language, it has currently the best tools for web development (symfony2, Doctrine2 and twig)

But apart from the web site, what of complex and/or compute intensive web applications that might (conceivably) be better written in C++? And if such are to be server-side (where else?), does one needs must host-one's-own server in order to get the library support, or will a commercial hoster e.g. Wordpress or Bluehost install these, or can you place the libraries in your personal account directory hierarchy? I ask because my personal homepage is hosted by Bluehost, and although Bluehost is a popular Wordpress host, I currently write all my site's pages in php and upload. But there's one or two web applications I've thought about writing, where C++ would make most sense at least at the lowest level.Or is that what Java was invented for?

Quote Originally Posted by pipe13 View Post
    But apart from the web site, what of complex and/or compute intensive web applications that might (conceivably) be better written in C++? And if such are to be server-side (where else?), does one needs must host-one's-own server in order to get the library support, or will a commercial hoster e.g. Wordpress or Bluehost install these, or can you place the libraries in your personal account directory hierarchy? I ask because my personal homepage is hosted by Bluehost, and although Bluehost is a popular Wordpress host, I currently write all my site's pages in php and upload. But there's one or two web applications I've thought about writing, where C++ would make most sense at least at the lowest level.Or is that what Java was invented for?
    Complex web applications use virtual or dedicated servers and can have software they want. They can also compile at deploy or whatnot. On PHP shared hosting that's not possible. Writing an web application in C++ won't probably add much or anything when compared to nicely written application in a dynamic language like Python or even PHP. Specific performance gains would be usable only to Qt/C++ experts that know the platform, and C++ developers are rather more expensive than Python or PHP as the required knowledge level is higher. This is not the first C or C++ web framework, and none of them actually gain any momentum. This one may be used by Qt developers that do not know any existing web development platforms.

Exclamation Ever heard about Wt?

I will hardly move away from Wt.
    It's much more mature, better documented. And it works!