Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlueZ 5.21 Adds More Android Features

Default BlueZ 5.21 Adds More Android Features

Phoronix: BlueZ 5.21 Adds More Android Features

A new release is out for BlueZ, the Linux Bluetooth stack, with the developers continuing to work on the same theme of the past few months of adding Android features for BlueZ...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNTE

Fuck you. Bluez 5 broke lot of parts of bluetooth functions on standard linux system and now on what developers are focusing is android support. Why on the earth?? Android is using its own bluetooth stack. So now we only have useless and crippled bluetooth SW... Somebody should fork old working Bluez 4 and tell linux distributions maintainers to stop breaking still working parts of bluetooth...

Quote Originally Posted by pali View Post
    Fuck you. Bluez 5 broke lot of parts of bluetooth functions on standard linux system and now on what developers are focusing is android support. Why on the earth?? Android is using its own bluetooth stack. So now we only have useless and crippled bluetooth SW... Somebody should fork old working Bluez 4 and tell linux distributions maintainers to stop breaking still working parts of bluetooth...
    Cyanogenmod and many other independent Android mods use BlueZ.

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    This is still not reason for breaking bluez on real linux.

Quote Originally Posted by pali View Post
    This is still not reason for breaking bluez on real linux.
    can you elaborate more? in arch seems to work fine as far as i've seen(very basic use), i mean with laptops that have bt included in the wifi chip they scan and see devices just fine and transfer files but more advanced stuff i haven't tested hence my question

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Wouldn't this introduce incompatibilities between stock Android and forks using BlueZ?

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    can you elaborate more? in arch seems to work fine as far as i've seen(very basic use), i mean with laptops that have bt included in the wifi chip they scan and see devices just fine and transfer files but more advanced stuff i haven't tested hence my question
    Bluetooth headsets don't work (can't use microphone at all). It was working before, support was removed. They said oFono supports it, but it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Bluetooth headsets don't work (can't use microphone at all). It was working before, support was removed. They said oFono supports it, but it doesn't.
    Headsets don't work with BlueZ 5 because they decided to drop HSP and HFP profiles, In theory, Pulseaudio 5 should handle these using oFono.

..which doesn't work in practise, nor works for people who don't want to use Pulse or oFono.

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    First they removed AT parser which is needed for HSP and HFP profile. Which means you cannot use any bluetooth headset with microphone. They told us that you need to use some big telephone stack which implement all AT commands (e.g. ofono), but nobody wrote glue code which sit between ofono and bluez. Also needs for telephone stack only for supporting volume up/down buttons on bluetooth headset for input system is total nonsense. Second thing is removed socket support for A2DP profile (and probably for other profiles too). Which means that any application which used sockets for access bluez stop working. The only "proper" way is to use dbus and its support for sending file handle... Existing broken application is not problem of bluez developers. Another problem with bluez5 is removed, renamed or changed other access interfaces. And there is also removed ALSA support for A2DP profile.

As I wrote it is time to create fork of bluez from version which worked. You can see that only one thing which developers doing is android...