Qualcomm DMCA Notice Takes Down 100+ Git Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just crazy

The entire intellectual property, copyright, patent situation is so damaged that it's being used for all purposes except for the original reason they were created.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      Is this a request to put american trolls in red book?

On a more serious note, russian laws are even harder with copyright. But overall direction is right - if you want 100% availability, never host in USA and EU, those countries are plagued by copyright trolls - that is mass removing of content without court direction first.
      More an observation of posters (from russia as in this case) trying to derail threads with anti-western sentiments coupled with nonsensical statements.

Comment

This is why I initially didn't use github for my own projects, and used gitorious instead (hosted in Norway).

I've since used github for other things, when forking other projects that were already hosted there. But I will still use gitorious for projects I created originally.

And yes, for the record, Qualcomm are total bastards when it comes to copyrights/patents/etc. I've worked on several of their technologies, from the outside (and once inside). Too bad they seem to own patents in every aspect of mobile comms tech.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          More an observation of posters (from russia as in this case) trying to derail threads with anti-western sentiments coupled with nonsensical statements.
          There is no yin without yang. Btw vodka+pelmeni are way more tasty than cola+burger.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            I'm from the EU but I fully agree with the parent poster: US copyright laws are just insane, and EU is quickly following suit.

Comment

Webhosts should block Cyveillance, PicScout, etc

None of those automated copythug bots respect robots.txt and all of them can be construed as violating the TOS or any website that posts a demand that they stay away. One website (https://dcdirectactionnews.wordpress.com) has posted a legal notice that every access by Picscout could cost them $10,000 in liquidated damages, essentially a reverse "Getty Letter" against them. I suspect Cyveillance is about to get added to that notice, along with all their clients,.

GIThub should post similar terms and if they control the server they can also block these bots directly. So should this forum, phoronix itself, and as many websites as possible to shut down these parasites. PicScout in particular uses so much bandwidth that some smaller websites have incurred significant extra data costs until they blocked PicScout.

At one web site I work with, all bot hits other than search engine bots that respect robots.txt are treated as malicious.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                I'm from the EU but I fully agree with the parent poster: US copyright laws are just insane, and EU is quickly following suit.
                Well, great for you. But what does it have to do with my posts exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  There is no yin without yang. Btw vodka+pelmeni are way more tasty than cola+burger.
                  Sorry what? Must be missing the joke here.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    Never host anything on US-related services so that tyrant laws do not affect you.
                    Hard lesson learned, I guess.
                    Hooray for Gitorious. I migrated my repositories there and it does the job just as well as GitHub. Zip downloads are available, but undocumented.

Comment

GitLab also looks nice (MIT licence), but doesn't provide hosting.

Comment

Working...
                      X