Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Phoronix: Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Red Hat's Christian Schaller has provided an update concerning the Wayland display server state with the upcoming Fedora 21 Workstation release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

However, for Fedora 21 the XWayland support with 3D acceleration isn't yet ready and will not come until Fedora 22.
    Damn. I was hoping to switch to Wayland completely with F21. It looks like I'll have to wait until F22 since I do all my gaming on Linux. It's great progress nonetheless.

Comment

Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)

Comment

And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)
          Good to hear that. I already game on the open source radeon driver, so I should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.
            AMD open source and Nouveau work well with Gnome on Wayland and XWayland. Why shouldn't they? At least I'm not havig any trouble using Gnome 3.12 with nouveau on Wayland.
            Last edited by blackout23; 03 July 2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              AMD open source and Nouveau work well with Gnome on Wayland and XWayland. Why shouldn't they? At least I'm not havig any trouble using Gnome 3.12 with nouveau on Wayland.
              Because the article states so and I had troubles with nouveau.

Comment

after all

after all is not wayland but xwayland and without 3d acc... what hell

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  Because the article states so and I had troubles with nouveau.
                  The article states that it works with all open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    after all is not wayland but xwayland and without 3d acc... what hell
                    Support for 3D acceleration got merged recently and will be in xserver 1.16 (and thus in Fedora 21).

Comment

Working...
                    X