Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Hybrid View

Default Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Phoronix: Wayland Is Moving Along Well For Fedora 21

Red Hat's Christian Schaller has provided an update concerning the Wayland display server state with the upcoming Fedora 21 Workstation release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMzU

However, for Fedora 21 the XWayland support with 3D acceleration isn't yet ready and will not come until Fedora 22.
    Damn. I was hoping to switch to Wayland completely with F21. It looks like I'll have to wait until F22 since I do all my gaming on Linux. It's great progress nonetheless.

Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)

And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    And notice that it says only Intel is working, AMD & Nouveau will work some day in the future. Closed source drivers some day.
    AMD open source and Nouveau work well with Gnome on Wayland and XWayland. Why shouldn't they? At least I'm not havig any trouble using Gnome 3.12 with nouveau on Wayland.
    Last edited by blackout23; 07-03-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    AMD open source and Nouveau work well with Gnome on Wayland and XWayland. Why shouldn't they? At least I'm not havig any trouble using Gnome 3.12 with nouveau on Wayland.
    Because the article states so and I had troubles with nouveau.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Stop spreading fud it clearly states:

Wayland session working with all free drivers (Currently only Intel working, but we expect to have NVidia and AMD support enabled before F21
    Its not just some day in the future its planned for the 21 release.

Quote Originally Posted by emblemparade View Post
    Almost all Linux games rely on SDL, and if they're new enough then it's SDL2, which supports Wayland directly -- no need for XWayland. My guess is that you'll be able to game fairly well on Fedora 21. (As long as you're OK with the poor performance of the open source NVIDIA/AMD drivers.)
    Good to hear that. I already game on the open source radeon driver, so I should be ok.

Almost all Linux games rely on SDL
    But if the game also links against Xlib, will it still work ? (e.g. linked statically against SDL)

Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    But if the game also links against Xlib, will it still work ? (e.g. linked statically against SDL)
    This depends on the version. If it's SDL1, it will try to link directly against Xlib and the game will run through XWayland. If it's SDL2 with a version before Wayland support was merged, it will dynamically open Xlib and go through XWayland. Any later version will dynamically open the wayland libs and run natively.

Note that there are certain functions in SDL2 that are impossible to support in Wayland (eg. setting/getting global mouse cursor or window position), so even if a game relies 100% on SDL2 (no Xlib), it's still not guaranteed to work perfectly well on Wayland.