Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: RealVNC Introduces VNC Wayland Developer Preview

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,350

    Default RealVNC Introduces VNC Wayland Developer Preview

    Phoronix: RealVNC Introduces VNC Wayland Developer Preview

    For nearly one year we've known about RealVNC being interested in Wayland support for their commercial VNC products and last year they proposed a remote access protocol for Wayland. Today, RealVNC has put out a developer preview of its VNC software for Wayland...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczODg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default source or gtfo

    If it ain't free open source software, then they can shove it up where the sun don't shine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    If it ain't free open source software, then they can shove it up where the sun don't shine.
    I strongly disagree. I welcome RealVNC's efforts. It doesn't mean I'm even going to use their product, but for the time being it's nice knowing we've already got working remote desktop for wayland. It should only be a matter of time until we get a free open source VNC server/client for wayland.

    Honestly though what surprises me is that the desktop environments don't supply their own remote desktop support. If they stick with standard protocols, it should work pretty effectively, and with such integration you could do cool things that no standard VNC would do, like a smaller viewport that automatically follows the mouse pointer, or a viewport that automatically resizes and "attaches" itself to the active window.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I strongly disagree. I welcome RealVNC's efforts. It doesn't mean I'm even going to use their product, but for the time being it's nice knowing we've already got working remote desktop for wayland. It should only be a matter of time until we get a free open source VNC server/client for wayland.

    Honestly though what surprises me is that the desktop environments don't supply their own remote desktop support. If they stick with standard protocols, it should work pretty effectively, and with such integration you could do cool things that no standard VNC would do, like a smaller viewport that automatically follows the mouse pointer, or a viewport that automatically resizes and "attaches" itself to the active window.
    The good thing is that they provide feeback upstream to developers on stuff and propose stuff which should get us all an API and the basic structure needed upstreams.

    It would be cool if the login manager (i.e GDM, KDM, LightDM, etc) could directly login to a remote desktop.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    The good thing is that they provide feeback upstream to developers on stuff and propose stuff which should get us all an API and the basic structure needed upstreams.

    It would be cool if the login manager (i.e GDM, KDM, LightDM, etc) could directly login to a remote desktop.
    They used to be able to do that.

    Well GDM did at least. That was before the GNOME developers completely lost their minds.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kerala, India
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Is this the first commercial software the openly supports Wayland?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seedo View Post
    Is this the first commercial software the openly supports Wayland?
    Nope. There's SailfishOS which runs on the Jolla phone, and then there's IVI (In-vehicle Infotainment) systems based on Tizen that use Wayland.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I strongly disagree. I welcome RealVNC's efforts. It doesn't mean I'm even going to use their product, but for the time being it's nice knowing we've already got working remote desktop for wayland. It should only be a matter of time until we get a free open source VNC server/client for wayland.

    Honestly though what surprises me is that the desktop environments don't supply their own remote desktop support. If they stick with standard protocols, it should work pretty effectively, and with such integration you could do cool things that no standard VNC would do, like a smaller viewport that automatically follows the mouse pointer, or a viewport that automatically resizes and "attaches" itself to the active window.
    Technically KDE does, look up KRDC and KRFB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    They used to be able to do that.

    Well GDM did at least. That was before the GNOME developers completely lost their minds.
    lightdm still does it. Here's a snippet of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf for a debian setup:
    Code:
    #
    # VNC Server configuration
    #
    # enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
    # command = Command to run Xvnc server with
    # port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
    # width = Width of display to use
    # height = Height of display to use
    # depth = Color depth of display to use
    #
    [VNCServer]
    #enabled=false
    #command=Xvnc
    #port=5900
    #width=1024
    #height=768
    #depth=8
    @Luke_Wolf
    Hmm, I knew about KRDC (it's a nice application) but not KRFB. Then again, I don't have a need to remotely access my KDE setup.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Is there any interest by DEs with their own compositors to implement remote capabilities in them (vnc rdp whatever)?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •