Thread: Linux 3.16 Aims To Enable Radeon BAPM By Default

Default Linux 3.16 Aims To Enable Radeon BAPM By Default

Phoronix: Linux 3.16 Aims To Enable Radeon BAPM By Default

A DRM-fixes pull request for the open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver for the Linux 3.16 kernel is going to enable BAPM by default for some APU systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMzI

I have tried searching for a definitive list of hardware which can utilise this BAPM featureset, but my SEO must be rusty, as I have failed. Is there anyone who knows of such a list, and is willing to link to it?

Quote Originally Posted by aphirst View Post
    I have tried searching for a definitive list of hardware which can utilise this BAPM featureset, but my SEO must be rusty, as I have failed. Is there anyone who knows of such a list, and is willing to link to it?
    So far this bug affected mostly MSI motherboards, I actually helped test this bugfix

Quote Originally Posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
    So far this bug affected mostly MSI motherboards, I actually helped test this bugfix
    Hmm, well I'm more looking for which hardware (presumably a list of engineering or marketing names?) can actually use BAPM, but I suppose it's interesting that the *bug* which was fixed was mostly limited to one manufacturer.

I would also like to know whether my Llano will benefit from the feature.

So I’m assuming that people using Ubuntu 14.04 will not get this feature (on Richland APUs). Does it matter? What does BAPM do exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by aphirst View Post
    I'm assuming all APUs at least from Richland and up support it. At least, I reported the DPM power cycle issue early in kernel 3.13 development that rendered an MSI+Richland APU system, which I built for someone, completely broken from then on thanks to DPM being enabled by default -- Ubuntu certainly took a lot of heat from it since anyone with an MSI board + APU can't even boot the live CD without first manually modifying it to disable DPM.