Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: VDPAU Library 0.8 Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,815

    Default VDPAU Library 0.8 Released

    Phoronix: VDPAU Library 0.8 Released

    NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner has announced the release of libvdpau 0.8 as the library for the VIdeo Decode and Presentation API for Unix...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMjM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    307

    Default

    I hope AMD switches to this with their new driver strategy. And Intel of course, but at least their solution works too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    I hope AMD switches to this with their new driver strategy. And Intel of course, but at least their solution works too.
    What do you mean? Fglrx? Thee FOSS Radeon driver has had working VDPAU support for some time now, and it works great for the most part.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    What do you mean? Fglrx? Thee FOSS Radeon driver has had working VDPAU support for some time now, and it works great for the most part.
    Yes. AMD is about to change how their proprietary driver works. It's gonna share a lot of code with the open source Radeon driver, like the same kernel component and stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I am more for openmax as is also supports encoding.
    Anyone knows if it VDPAU supports 10bit on radeon as the HW supports it?
    I read that there was a plan to add it but dont know if it was integrated.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    Yes. AMD is about to change how their proprietary driver works. It's gonna share a lot of code with the open source Radeon driver, like the same kernel component and stuff.
    No, AMD is THINKING about changing their driver. And the ONLY change they've mentioned afaik is using the FOSS kernel component instead of their proprietary one, which would save on development time and user ease. No mention of "sharing a lot of code with the FOSS Radeon driver", as that would be pretty impossible (considering they're based around two COMPLETELY different architectures).

    I wish somebody would just compile the AMD Mesa drivers for Windows (Mesa is built to be cross-platform and all) and see how well they perform over there. If they do well, the FOSS driver could become their one-and-only driver! I would do it myself but I am FAR from possessing the required skills to do so

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Anyhows!! Thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •