LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Well not true. Several schools run LTSP and they just upgraded the network to be on par with bigger applications. I know one school uses a server with 500 GB Sata 3 SSD, 32GB RAM, 10 Gbps switch (1 Gbps links to clients) to deal with this. The clients are cheap Shuttle computers with gigabit LAN and 21.5" fullhd screens.
    I'm sorry but just how does that contradict what he said?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      I'm sorry but just how does that contradict what he said?
      I think that he, like many people, is confusing the term "network transparent" with sending rendered frames across the network (which I remember one X developer calling "Network Capable"). Wayland supports this "Network Capable" functionality as long as it is built into the compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        I think that he, like many people, is confusing the term "network transparent" with sending rendered frames across the network (which I remember one X developer calling "Network Capable"). Wayland supports this "Network Capable" functionality as long as it is built into the compositor.
        Indeed. I call that network rendering (renders and display on the client) vs network displaying (renders on the server and display on the client).
        For the latter, you only need to be able to send images through the network (plus inputs, obviously), so just basic video recording on the server sent to the client should already work better than what X does.
        For the former, given that rendering is usually done by a toolkit (if you are not calling graphical API directly), this is normally not in the realm of the display server. The thing is that X11 came with its own toolkit, which indeed provided network rendering. If you need something similar for wayland, you are better off writing a new toolkit that specialize on rendering across the network.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Awesome news. And Gentoo already has 0.7 in ~amd64. Can't wait to try it all out in two weeks.
          You mean the "Lightweight X Qt"?
          Well, I did suggest LQDE in the mailing list when they were trying to chose a name.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            What about a stripped down Kwin? Shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the bloat. Personally I would prefer as little special effects as possible.
            Openbox on Kwin + Wayland would be good no?

No idea. not a programmer.
            You can turn them off. Whether you can cut them out entirely, I don't know. Depends on how modular Kwin is.

You won't use Openbox with Kwin. Kwin is a window manager AND a compositor, Openbox is a window manager only. That was why I mentioned Compton, which is a standalone compositor that can be used with Openbox. As far as I know, Openbox+Compton is the default in LXQt right now.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
              For the former, given that rendering is usually done by a toolkit (if you are not calling graphical API directly), this is normally not in the realm of the display server. The thing is that X11 came with its own toolkit, which indeed provided network rendering. If you need something similar for wayland, you are better off writing a new toolkit that specialize on rendering across the network.
              That will never work, because who will rewrite all the apps you need to use to use that new toolkit? Hm? Firefox and libreoffice for starters?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                That will never work, because who will rewrite all the apps you need to use to use that new toolkit? Hm? Firefox and libreoffice for starters?
                Again, I think you're confused. Firefox and LibreOffice are DEFINITELY not network transparent. In fact, GTK+ and Qt are BOTH not network transparent. At this point, the only toolkit (that I know of) that supports network transparency over X is the X toolkit itself (which almost nobody uses).

Comment

No, I'm not confused. Both work *right now*. Anyone advocating the networking to be only at the toolkit level does not understand reality, mainly that you simply cannot rewrite the world.

Networking has to work with all apps, therefore it cannot be at toolkit level.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    No, I'm not confused. Both work *right now*.
                    Yes, by sending pre-rendered pixmaps over the network. Not very efficient, and not network transparency in the traditional X sense where drawing commands are sent.

Now I agree that doing network transparency at the toolkit level is not ideal, though it'd likely be the most efficient. It could be done at the compositor level: On the server side, the compositor collects buffers from individual apps and sends them over the network. Then at the client side, the compositor receives these buffers and composes them for display. Various optimizations can be applied, an obvious one being not sending the whole buffer all the time, just the damaged regions. Also compressing the buffer in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
                      Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.
                      You don't know what you're talking about:
                      The Xorg server/client architecture allows for network transparency which means it is possible to start x-clients on a remote machine and display the GUI on the local machine (i.e. via x-forwarding...

Comment

Working...
                      X