No announcement yet.

LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just worried my software might stop functioning the way I like it. As well as several cross-platform programs having to support 2 completely different display protocols just to avoid a performance hit. If you can get network applications to work on Wayland without having to drastically alter the workflow as the original one was better, and that Wayland can become cross-platform. Then by all means go ahead as it can't come soon enough assuming those problems don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Wrong http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMwMzE
      Weston is written to the Linux API however Wayland itself is AFAIK OS-agnostic, since all it cares about is buffers.
      Read your own link... Patches had to be added to Wayland to facilitate running on FreeBSD (and only with KMS drivers, which there are one on FreeBSD), so it's not really all that agnostic. For now it's pretty much "Linux, but you can port it to other OS's if they have KMS & EGL"

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Read your own link... Patches had to be added to Wayland to facilitate running on FreeBSD (and only with KMS drivers, which there are one on FreeBSD), so it's not really all that agnostic. For now it's pretty much "Linux, but you can port it to other OS's if they have KMS & EGL"
        ... :|

wooooo because KMS and EGL are clearly linux specific, The former is definitely not a style of writing drivers and the latter isn't a Khronos cross-platform API... nope. Further these other OSes definitely wouldn't have had to have implemented these anyway in order to have up to date open source graphics driver support, definitely not. Oh the horror of it all, wayland is making them do something they'd have to do anyway. *shock* *horror*

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
          I'm just worried my software might stop functioning the way I like it. As well as several cross-platform programs having to support 2 completely different display protocols just to avoid a performance hit. If you can get network applications to work on Wayland without having to drastically alter the workflow as the original one was better, and that Wayland can become cross-platform. Then by all means go ahead as it can't come soon enough assuming those problems don't exist.
          Maybe, just maybe... instead of worrying you could do the rational thing and actually research the topic before you run your mouth, hm?

Comment

Maybe, just maybe... instead of worrying you could do the rational thing and actually research the topic before you run your mouth, hm?
            I did. I just didn't find anything that fully works in Wayland yet and don't want to switch until the software I need actually works in Wayland 100%

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
              I did. I just didn't find anything that fully works in Wayland yet and don't want to switch until the software I need actually works in Wayland 100%
              you're going to have to wait till 2015 for KDE, late 2014 for Gnome (assuming Fedora 21 doesn't get postponed into into 2015). Anything else for pure wayland depends on the people writing it, but in the meantime we've got XWayland which will allow you to run your X apps in wayland so depending upon your definition of "Works in wayland" there you go.

Comment

you're going to have to wait till 2015 for KDE, late 2014 for Gnome (assuming Fedora 21 doesn't get postponed into into 2015). Anything else for pure wayland depends on the people writing it, but in the meantime we've got XWayland which will allow you to run your X apps in wayland so depending upon your definition of "Works in wayland" there you go.
                There's also AntiMicro and Xpra which I use. They need to work with XWayland and Wayland. AntiMicro looks like it can be ported and Xpra might be able to be ported also. My main issue is basically switching too soon before everything is ready. So yeah.

Comment

Working...
                X