Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77

Thread: LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,429

    Default LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

    Phoronix: LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

    The "LXQt" desktop that's a Qt version of the lightweight LXDE desktop can now be compiled using Qt5 where as previously there were still Qt4 dependencies...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMTc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    30

    Default

    It would be really awesome to run LXQt on Wayland!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JörnS View Post
    It would be really awesome to run LXQt on Wayland!
    Just wait for Kwin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JörnS View Post
    It would be really awesome to run LXQt on Wayland!
    It would be ironic for "Lightweight X Desktop Environment" to run on non-X.

    Jokes aside. LXDE doesn't have its own window manager so I wonder if they will use one of the existing wayland compositors or they will port openbox (the X window manager they currently recommend) to be a wayland compositor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krejzi View Post
    <..> or they will port openbox (the X window manager they currently recommend) to be a wayland compositor.
    Would be wonderful!

  6. #6

    Default

    Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Awesome news. And Gentoo already has 0.7 in ~amd64. Can't wait to try it all out in two weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krejzi View Post
    It would be ironic for "Lightweight X Desktop Environment" to run on non-X.
    You mean the "Lightweight X Qt"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krejzi View Post
    Jokes aside. LXDE doesn't have its own window manager so I wonder if they will use one of the existing wayland compositors or they will port openbox (the X window manager they currently recommend) to be a wayland compositor.
    Openbox is entirely dependent on X. Trying to port it means recreating it from scratch, and I think they have more interesting ways of spending their time. KWin is supported just as well, and perhaps they could also add support for Weston.

    Quote Originally Posted by pouar View Post
    Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.
    "A lot of people" that require network transparency being like five.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pouar View Post
    Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.

    Sigh.

    Gui programs on linux haven't been network transparent for a long time. Instead, it has been mostly sending screenshots over the network in a very inefficient manner.

    Wayland will be better for gui apps over the network.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I don't see how 'converting' Openbox to be a Wayland compositor could make any sense - it does almost nothing beyond allowing you to drag windows about, with minimal UI, so just about all the code will be X11-specific. Porting a big flashy thing like KWin is reasonable, because it has a ton of fancy effects, desktop switching UI, theming and menus that aren't directly related to the actual window management.

    Quote Originally Posted by pouar View Post
    Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.
    I bet the number of people who currently use X network transparency is almost nil. Both the major toolkits use features that aren't properly network-transparent, so those hypothetical people must be using 10-15 year-old applications drawing X primitives directly (or does Motif or something equally antiquated support it)?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Openbox isn't a compositor, as far as I know. So they'll need to port Compton. Kwin will probably arrive sooner though. While Kwin is quite heavy, it's still fast if you don't use fancy effects.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •