Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

Phoronix: AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

After earlier this week posting some fresh NVIDIA VDPAU video playback performance tests, here is some testing of the open-source AMD Radeon driver with R600 and RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers while using the VDPAU state tracker for open-source, accelerated video playback using the graphics cards' UVD engine.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Based on these results, and compared to the NVidia results from a little while ago... ( http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._metrics&num=2 )
    Even the lowest-end AMD card tested, on FOSS drivers, has a lower % CPU usage than the highest-end NVidia card with their binary driver eh? And aside from those weird 3-4 cards in the 52+ degrees Celsius range, the rest were right around most of the Nvidia cards, temperature wise...

That being said, the most interesting NVidia benchmark is missing on this one. I'm interested to know the GPU % usage for these.

All in all: Congrats are in order for the AMD FOSS developers

Comment

I just thought back to those dark days of running radeonhd on my 690G. Progress. Progress...

All in all: Congrats are in order for the AMD FOSS developers
      And Michael for benchmarking VDPAU.

Comment

When we are at it already, are there any updates on the state of UVD support on RS780/RS880/RV790?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          That being said, the most interesting NVidia benchmark is missing on this one. I'm interested to know the GPU % usage for these.
          This indeed. sudo apt-get install radeontop

Comment

Would this also work with a Radeon HD 3200?

I have an old mainboard with an onboard HD 3200, I could use that for a HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              When we are at it already, are there any updates on the state of UVD support on RS780/RS880/RV790?
              Wasn't it done and waiting technical review.
              I think the review would take time and i guess it's not on top of the list.

Originally posted by Temar View Post
              Would this also work with a Radeon HD 3200?

I have an old mainboard with an onboard HD 3200, I could use that for a HTPC.
              I think it uses RS780/RS880/RV790

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                I think it uses RS780/RS880/RV790
                So, is this a yes?

According to Wikipedia the HD 3200 has RS780 UVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                  So, is this a yes?

According to Wikipedia the HD 3200 has RS780 UVD.
                  RadeonFeature page for r600 driver states:

4 DONE for RV710, RV730, RV740, TODO for RV770, RS780/880, R6xx
                  I guess those are only wich does not have it implemented, but has some uvd hardware .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 28 June 2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    RadeonFeature page for r600 driver states:
                    Ah, too bad, maybe next year. Thanks for looking this up for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X