Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Processor & Graphics card .. better compatibility in Ubuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3

    Question Processor & Graphics card .. better compatibility in Ubuntu

    Hi,

    I was wondering among the two below mentioned combinations, which one would offer better performance and better compatibility with Ubuntu .
    THe reason for this post is becuase I have always got negative reviews about Radeon graphics in Ubuntu

    • AMD Quad Core A6-6310 and AMD Radeon HD R5 M230 (2GB dedicated graphics ) with 4GB RAM
    • Intel i5 4210U (4th Gen) and Nvidia 820M (2GB dedicated Graphics ) with 4GB RAM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Even I am looking to buy a similar combination on this 4th July sale.
    My main purpose is to study, learn the most current OpenGL version (yes including Compute Shaders !!!) in Linux.
    I was wondering if anyone could guide me for driver stability/performance between AMD and NVidia.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,269

    Default

    If you want to actually use GL4 features, your only choice is Nvidia.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,645

    Default

    Well this is a laptop, so using nvidia gfx with optimus can be problematic/tricky...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Well this is a laptop, so using nvidia gfx with optimus can be problematic/tricky...
    good point. Optimus .. i forgot about it. my current optimus graphics support is just a pain.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
    good point. Optimus .. i forgot about it. my current optimus graphics support is just a pain.
    Actually it's perfectly fine with the binary nvidia driver and the package nvidia-prime. It not only supports optimus but does automatic graphics switching.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottishduck View Post
    Actually it's perfectly fine with the binary nvidia driver and the package nvidia-prime. It not only supports optimus but does automatic graphics switching.
    nvidia-prime does not offer automatic switching at all. I have optimus graphics card. You have to log out and login to switch from intel to nvidia and viceversa.
    Plus there is a bug in nvidia-prime which freezes mouse when you wake the system up from suspend. Its still not fixed

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
    nvidia-prime does not offer automatic switching at all. I have optimus graphics card. You have to log out and login to switch from intel to nvidia and viceversa.
    Plus there is a bug in nvidia-prime which freezes mouse when you wake the system up from suspend. Its still not fixed
    Yeah apologies, I was looking into the package and was given a misleading description. Nonetheless it is a workable solution.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •