Thread: Processor & Graphics card .. better compatibility in Ubuntu

Question Processor & Graphics card .. better compatibility in Ubuntu

Hi,

I was wondering among the two below mentioned combinations, which one would offer better performance and better compatibility with Ubuntu .
    THe reason for this post is becuase I have always got negative reviews about Radeon graphics in Ubuntu

• AMD Quad Core A6-6310 and AMD Radeon HD R5 M230 (2GB dedicated graphics ) with 4GB RAM
    • Intel i5 4210U (4th Gen) and Nvidia 820M (2GB dedicated Graphics ) with 4GB RAM

Even I am looking to buy a similar combination on this 4th July sale.
    My main purpose is to study, learn the most current OpenGL version (yes including Compute Shaders !!!) in Linux.
    I was wondering if anyone could guide me for driver stability/performance between AMD and NVidia.

If you want to actually use GL4 features, your only choice is Nvidia.

Well this is a laptop, so using nvidia gfx with optimus can be problematic/tricky...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Well this is a laptop, so using nvidia gfx with optimus can be problematic/tricky...
    good point. Optimus .. i forgot about it. my current optimus graphics support is just a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
    good point. Optimus .. i forgot about it. my current optimus graphics support is just a pain.
    Actually it's perfectly fine with the binary nvidia driver and the package nvidia-prime. It not only supports optimus but does automatic graphics switching.

Quote Originally Posted by scottishduck View Post
    Actually it's perfectly fine with the binary nvidia driver and the package nvidia-prime. It not only supports optimus but does automatic graphics switching.
    nvidia-prime does not offer automatic switching at all. I have optimus graphics card. You have to log out and login to switch from intel to nvidia and viceversa.
    Plus there is a bug in nvidia-prime which freezes mouse when you wake the system up from suspend. Its still not fixed

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
    nvidia-prime does not offer automatic switching at all. I have optimus graphics card. You have to log out and login to switch from intel to nvidia and viceversa.
    Plus there is a bug in nvidia-prime which freezes mouse when you wake the system up from suspend. Its still not fixed
    Yeah apologies, I was looking into the package and was given a misleading description. Nonetheless it is a workable solution.