Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor & Graphics card .. better compatibility in Ubuntu

Hi,

I was wondering among the two below mentioned combinations, which one would offer better performance and better compatibility with Ubuntu .
    THe reason for this post is becuase I have always got negative reviews about Radeon graphics in Ubuntu
    • AMD Quad Core A6-6310 and AMD Radeon HD R5 M230 (2GB dedicated graphics ) with 4GB RAM
    • Intel i5 4210U (4th Gen) and Nvidia 820M (2GB dedicated Graphics ) with 4GB RAM

Even I am looking to buy a similar combination on this 4th July sale.
    My main purpose is to study, learn the most current OpenGL version (yes including Compute Shaders !!!) in Linux.
    I was wondering if anyone could guide me for driver stability/performance between AMD and NVidia.

Comment

If you want to actually use GL4 features, your only choice is Nvidia.

Comment

Well this is a laptop, so using nvidia gfx with optimus can be problematic/tricky...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well this is a laptop, so using nvidia gfx with optimus can be problematic/tricky...
          good point. Optimus .. i forgot about it. my current optimus graphics support is just a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuser View Post
            good point. Optimus .. i forgot about it. my current optimus graphics support is just a pain.
            Actually it's perfectly fine with the binary nvidia driver and the package nvidia-prime. It not only supports optimus but does automatic graphics switching.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Actually it's perfectly fine with the binary nvidia driver and the package nvidia-prime. It not only supports optimus but does automatic graphics switching.
              nvidia-prime does not offer automatic switching at all. I have optimus graphics card. You have to log out and login to switch from intel to nvidia and viceversa.
              Plus there is a bug in nvidia-prime which freezes mouse when you wake the system up from suspend. Its still not fixed

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuser View Post
                nvidia-prime does not offer automatic switching at all. I have optimus graphics card. You have to log out and login to switch from intel to nvidia and viceversa.
                Plus there is a bug in nvidia-prime which freezes mouse when you wake the system up from suspend. Its still not fixed
                Yeah apologies, I was looking into the package and was given a misleading description. Nonetheless it is a workable solution.

Comment

Working...
                X