ASRock Z97 Extreme6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squigish View Post
    I've got this board, and I've successfully managed to get lm-sensors to recognize the fan control hardware on xubuntu 14.04. I don't remember the details of what I did, but I plan on duplicating it in Linux Mint, so maybe I'll write something up then.
    looking forward to seeing that. wanted this, haven't found the time to dig into it, happy to let you show us how.

As far as the onboard sata controller, it is definitely giving me problems. I was using the board fine for a couple months with the ASMedia sata controller disabled....
    fwiw i've been using the ports from both SATA controllers since installation, no problems that i'm aware of. i'd learned that the ASMedia channels -- SATA3_A* -- do run slower so i've set those aside for slow drives, etc, but they've given me no problems to date.

Comment

I've been testing out this board for the past couple of days, with a Core i7-4790K and a Xeon E3-1220 v3. All works flawlessly with Linux Mint 16 and 17.

I'm currently benchmarking (using Phoronix Tiobench of course!) a Plextor PX-G256M6e PCIe 2.0 x2 M.2 SSD that arrived today. Too bad I can't use the board's PCIe 3.0 x4 "Ultra M.2" slot, which was a determining factor in getting this board. Aside from the OEM Samsung XP941 there aren't any other such drives, and the XP941 isn't available here.

About the only issue is the lack of lm-sensors support as noted.

This isn't specific to Linux, but I also noticed that you can't boot from an M.2 drive as you normally would a SATA drive. It needs to load the drive's OpROM first, then it will recognize it, and only then can you add it to your boot order. Actually even after it loaded the OpROM it couldn't find the drive to put it in the boot order, I had to disconnect my older SATA SSD before the board would list it as an option in the boot list. If you disable storage OpROM booting in the UEFI the drive can't be seen at all. Unfortunately this leads to the UEFI/BIOS screen loading, then the Plextor OpROM loading, then a pause, then the UEFI/BIOS screen loading again, then the OS loading. With a SATA SSD, it goes from off to desktop in under 3 seconds, but ironically with the faster M.2 SSD, it takes a lot longer due to this. Oh well, I usually keep it running anyway.

This is a good thing though, the Plextor OpROM is what makes it bootable. The Samsung XP941 lacks this which makes booting from it extremely difficult or impossible.

Comment

I spent a good part of my day working on this, without much to show for it. I did start another thread at the ASRock support forum at TweakTown.

Even if I had an updated firmware file, how would I go about flashing it?
        It was a dos flash tool to update it. Therefore i used FreeDOS to do so. It only updated the Asmedia part - which did not detect my external USB 3 HD with Asmedia chipset before, after the flash it worked but i could only boot Linux from it. The USB 3 controller still did not run with standard Win 8 drivers. Via/NEC chips do not require extra Win 8 drivers but the firmware did not list em as boot device. I have got one board that can boot with a NEC based USB 3 (2 port) expansion card but not my Asus one. Basically everything works what i want but with the wrong system

Comment

So I've completed most of my setup with this board and all seems to be working fine. I am running CentOS 7 and I have all 10 of the SATA ports in use. 1 SSD, 1 BDROM, and 8 SATA II/III drives. Bootup is fast and everything is working so far. I am currently setting the drives up into the raid configuration that I want and have not yet had any time to test speeds or anything to the different controllers.

Oh, I forgot to mention... I did attempt to update the BIOS, but the shipped version was the most up to date one... I did NOT update any other firmware and I didn't have to download any drivers or anything manually. Whatever CentOS installed during the OS install works.

Comment

Originally posted by uwsublime View Post
            Oh, I forgot to mention... I did attempt to update the BIOS, but the shipped version was the most up to date one... I did NOT update any other firmware and I didn't have to download any drivers or anything manually. Whatever CentOS installed during the OS install works.
            Which firmware version did it ship with? 1.30?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              It was a dos flash tool to update it. Therefore i used FreeDOS to do so. It only updated the Asmedia part - which did not detect my external USB 3 HD with Asmedia chipset before, after the flash it worked but i could only boot Linux from it. The USB 3 controller still did not run with standard Win 8 drivers. Via/NEC chips do not require extra Win 8 drivers but the firmware did not list em as boot device. I have got one board that can boot with a NEC based USB 3 (2 port) expansion card but not my Asus one. Basically everything works what i want but with the wrong system
              This board has ASMedia controllers for both USB3 and SATA. Are you talking about the USB3 controllers, or the SATA ones?

Comment

Which firmware version did it ship with? 1.30?
                Mine shipped with 1.30. There's a sticker applied to both BIOS chips, "P1.30".

Comment

They just released BIOS 1.40 two days ago. Anyone try it?

I notice something interesting about it:

"Update MAC OS GUID"

Interesting because it may address a big issue I've worked on for two days with this board. I formatted my original / drive GPT (aka GUID) on my old motherboard and when I switched it over to this one I had no end of trouble booting from it. There was really nothing I could do to boot from it, it just refused to boot no matter what setting I tried.

I finally formatted my new drive MBR, installed LM 17 on it, and managed to rsync over all the files from the original drive. dd didn't work because it formatted the new drive GPT as well. Lots of failed attempts along the way...

My problem is solved now, no way in h*ll I'll be formatting GPT again, but this BIOS might have addressed it.

Has anyone been able to boot a GPT-formatted drive with this board, and if not, have you tried the new BIOS?

Comment

Well I decided to try BIOS 1.40.

I had my old drive still formatted GPT and I tried to boot from it. It worked! There's an outdated UUID reference and it dropped me to an initramfs shell, but it booted all the same. It did nothing before, just something about not finding any bootable devices, that I should replace or insert one and press any key.

I still wouldn't try GPT again, but it might work now.

Comment

I still haven't gotten the ASMedia controllers to work. However, I can boot if they are enabled but have no drives connected, and then I can hotplug drives.

I did notice something interesting. lspci thinks that the controllers are ASM1062. But the motherboard manual thinks they're ASM1061 (which is also what's etched on the face of the chips). Any ideas about how I could go about getting my system to recognize the controller correctly?

Comment

Working...
                      X