The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

Phoronix: The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

While GTK3 isn't yet used by default with Mozilla's Firefox web-browser, the port to the newer version of the GNOME tool-kit is making progress. As a great sign, Firefox is starting to run on Wayland with the Weston compositor!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Overall, the GTK3 work appears to be going well for Firefox though some will argue that it's long overdue to abandon the GTK2 interface.
    It's long overdue to abandon GTK3 and move to Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
      Yes, since they must do a lot of work to support Wayland they should do the extra work to get rid of Gtk altogether in favor of Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        Exactly. Too bad Eclipse has moved to GTK3. I should try Intellij IDEA...

Oh, and let's not forget GIMP is also moving to GTK3. Probably in 2018 though

Comment

What's the advance of writing such an app (you can hardly create a Qt Creator project for Firefox and you still cannot use GUI designer) in Qt, only for Linux? I cannot understand that recent "LOL WHY GTK, USE QT DUMBS" (fanboys?) yelling...

On Windows, a lot of people uses pure WinAPI for building GUI and no one complains. On OS X, there's Cocoa. And no one complains. How is the desktop Linux different?

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          Exactly. Too bad Eclipse has moved to GTK3. I should try Intellij IDEA...
          IntelliJ IDEA uses Swing, so how is that realated to Qt?

By the way - are you able to achieve something what's called "Client Side Decorations" with Qt? I think it's pretty important here - since on every platform except Linux, it's already present in web browsers (I mean, tabs in the titlebar).
          Last edited by m4tx; 25 June 2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            ... and let's not forget GIMP is also moving to GTK3. Probably in 2018 though
            Oh no, GIMP is still moving to Gtk3? I recall it years ago starting this task, apparently the developer behind GIMP is sick and tired working for free, a.k.a. doing Stallman-style open source development.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Oh no, GIMP is still moving to Gtk3? I recall it years ago starting this task, apparently the developer behind GIMP is sick and tired working for free, a.k.a. doing Stallman-style open source development.
              GTK stands for Gimp ToolKit, so it would be ironic if Gimp doesn't use the latest GTK.

Comment

"Stallman-style open source development" does not mean what you think it means.

Comment

[...] apparently the developer behind GIMP is sick and tired working for free, a.k.a. doing Stallman-style open source development.
                  Which one? It's hardly a one man project. Ohloh reports 57 contributors in the last twelve months. Apparently you're making things up.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
                    Which one? It's hardly a one man project. Ohloh reports 57 contributors in the last twelve months. Apparently you're making things up.
                    No, I just recall reading his blog years ago how he's doing the heavy lifting of porting to Gtk3 and needs contributions and inviting people to participate or at least pay him.
                    And those 57 contributors are really mostly ghosts, otherwise why the hell after like 4 years and 57 contributors is he still stuck with Gtk2??

Let me tell you something about the list of contributors - to inflate the list of contributors to make the project look alive and vibrant the core dev(s) usually lists even people with minor one-time contributions not worth mentioning. For example I was amazed that I got into the list of Wayland contributors in 2013 without even submitting any code - I just pointed out a minor bug in the code and that's it, I became a cooonttriibuuutttor! That's pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                    X