The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    It's long overdue to abandon GTK3 and move to Qt.
    Stop talking and invest hundreds of millions into Mozilla to make it so. I'm sure they clearly haven't a clue about the great Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by m4tx View Post
      What's the advance of writing such an app (you can hardly create a Qt Creator project for Firefox and you still cannot use GUI designer) in Qt, only for Linux? I cannot understand that recent "LOL WHY GTK, USE QT DUMBS" (fanboys?) yelling...

On Windows, a lot of people uses pure WinAPI for building GUI and no one complains. On OS X, there's Cocoa. And no one complains. How is the desktop Linux different?

IntelliJ IDEA uses Swing, so how is that realated to Qt?

By the way - are you able to achieve something what's called "Client Side Decorations" with Qt? I think it's pretty important here - since on every platform except Linux, it's already present in web browsers (I mean, tabs in the titlebar).
      OS X Cocoa Frameworks dwarf Qt or GTK+, so let's not waste time on comparing either to Cocoa.

GTK+ is actually gaining steam and GNOME UI is evolving to being what KDE fans don't want: A quality, consistent experience.

KDE fans are the RadioShack/Frys Electronics fans who think their toolkit is about walking into a massive warehouse of parts and assembling how they want.

It results in a bag of hurt UI.

Comment

What's the advance of writing such an app (you can hardly create a Qt Creator project for Firefox and you still cannot use GUI designer) in Qt, only for Linux? I cannot understand that recent "LOL WHY GTK, USE QT DUMBS" (fanboys?) yelling...

On Windows, a lot of people uses pure WinAPI for building GUI and no one complains. On OS X, there's Cocoa. And no one complains. How is the desktop Linux different?
        See, there's the thing! If they moved to Qt, it wouldn't HAVE to be "just for Linux". They could use the Qt UI code across all of the platforms they support, requiring them to only maintain a single branch of UI... Not to mention Qt is best used with C++ which, GUESS WHAT, Firefox is written in... so they would have "native" (wrong word, but whatever) access to their Toolkit API instead of going through C++ -> C wrappers for GTK (I don't know if GTK has a native C++ interface yet)

IntelliJ IDEA uses Swing, so how is that realated to Qt?
        It's not, he's just a GTK hater. In no way related to this argument, so I say we ignore that.

By the way - are you able to achieve something what's called "Client Side Decorations" with Qt? I think it's pretty important here - since on every platform except Linux, it's already present in web browsers (I mean, tabs in the titlebar).
        Well... that depends on what you call "client side decorations". You _say_ they are available in GTK, but not really. Items inside of the "header bar" can only be a certain shape/size(height) and have to conform to certain things, versus REAL client-side-decorations (e.g. Windows) where you can draw pretty much whatever you want inside the title bar.
        And, as far as I'm aware, you can draw CSD with Qt on Windows and OSx. It's kind of a pain to try and account for all of the window managers on Linux (For example, GTK's CSDs only really work on Mutter/Muffin and look screwy on other WMs). I tried asking the Cinnamon devs to collaborate with the KDE guys (and maybe a few others) to try and come up with a standard CSD API or something that was REAL and not this pseudo-CSD that Gnome is giving us, but I guess it didn't work out (they just implemented support for Gnome's CSDs and closed the issue)

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          No, I just recall reading his blog years ago how he's doing the heavy lifting of porting to Gtk3 and needs contributions and inviting people to participate or at least pay him.
          And those 57 contributors are really mostly ghosts, otherwise why the hell after like 4 years and 57 contributors is he still stuck with Gtk2??
          Have ever even bothered to look at Gimp's Roadmap; http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap ... or do you prefer to just ramble/whine?

gtk3 port isn't even a priority until everything has been converted to using GEGL / high bit depths [work that isn't complete] + a bunch of other stuff is done... IIRC, there is also an issue with libgimpwidgets and some 3rd-party plugins [that will probably need to be reworked]. Barring that stuff, you'd probably already have a gtk3 port - but it's not "high priority", when compared to actual 'features'. the higher priority stuff is significantly more important than porting to gtk3. [gtk3 port will only be important, once the wayland switch gets closer..].

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
            It's long overdue to abandon GTK3 and move to Qt.
            Indeed !

Comment

How is Mozilla Shumway progressing? Flash won't work on Wayland, and in order to switch to GTK3, Shumway has to be a drop in replacement. I tried it a while ago, and it didn't work for video for example (which is probably 90%+ use cases for Flash these days).

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Stop talking and invest hundreds of millions into Mozilla to make it so. I'm sure they clearly haven't a clue about the great Qt.
                No need to. Mozilla supported Qt for a while, but they didn't maintain it and never mainlined the effort. I'd prefer them to use Qt as well.

Comment

What's the advance of writing such an app (you can hardly create a Qt Creator project for Firefox and you still cannot use GUI designer) in Qt, only for Linux?
                  Because they don't really use GTK for UI anyway. They only used it in few cases and every other part of Firefox work on XULRunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek
                    And GTK 3.12 jumped the shark with forcing client side decorations. Now if you use an GTK 3 program you cannot have your window manager manage the window anymore. What kind stupid shit is that? That made a lot people sit up realize that GTK is fucking itself over.
                    I'm a fan of Qt and all, but come on. That's not true at all. 3.12 doesn't FORCE "client side decorations" (I've already questioned the use of that phrase in an above post). It does encourage them though.
                    HOWEVER, the fact that CSDs don't/didn't have a reliable (or any...) fallback for non-Gnome/Gnome-based (e.g. Cinnamon) window managers was horrible planning and showed exactly how much they care about non-Gnome programmers... AKA not a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek
                      And GTK 3.12 jumped the shark with forcing client side decorations. Now if you use an GTK 3 program you cannot have your window manager manage the window anymore. What kind stupid shit is that? That made a lot people sit up realize that GTK is fucking itself over.
                      What kind of stupid shit is it? Made up shit, that's what kind. You're spouting nonsense, since everything you've just said is absolutely untrue. GTK3 *supports* client-side decorations, but it doesn't require them, and they're not in use on any released version of Gnome (though may be used on Wayland).

Comment

Working...
                      X