Intel Expresses Interest In AMD's Mantle API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    The only problem with your line o tought is that OpenGL is not consistent across platforms nor across different drivers.

Since mantle is probably much easier to implement, due to being a very thin layer and not having to deal with two decades of backwards compatibility, if it can be implemented on intel/nvidia gpus drivers, specially on mesa/gallium drivers, it should be a big help for bootsing gaming on linux. Look at how long the open drivers are taking to catch up in terms of OGL compliance.
    OpenGL is not currently consistent, but AMD can work on improving their drivers and making them consistent instead of fragmenting their attention between OpenGL and Mantle.

Yes, if Mantle can be implemented on Intel and nVidia then it will be boosting gaming on Linux, but Intel will only get to see the specs by the end of the year. That is, we have to wait until the end of the year in order to know whether Intel agrees with AMD about the feasibility of Mantle. At this pace we probably won't see Mantle on nVidia for many years.

Comment

its not that its something that hurries its still way earlier openend up before dx comes out end of 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        its not that its something that hurries its still way earlier openend up before dx comes out end of 2015.
        DX is guaranteed to come out before Mantle is implemented by all vendors. Mantle reminds me of Mir; it's good because it puts pressure on competition to fix/finish their solution, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          OpenGL is not currently consistent, but AMD can work on improving their drivers and making them consistent instead of fragmenting their attention between OpenGL and Mantle.

Yes, if Mantle can be implemented on Intel and nVidia then it will be boosting gaming on Linux, but Intel will only get to see the specs by the end of the year. That is, we have to wait until the end of the year in order to know whether Intel agrees with AMD about the feasibility of Mantle. At this pace we probably won't see Mantle on nVidia for many years.
          It wouldn't surprise me if NVidia did or didn't adopt Mantle. The way I see it, if Mantle makes their cards perform, or at least look like they perform better, they will do it.

Comment

No expectation

Do not expect Intel will implement Mantle in their old i3/i5/i7 processors.
            This will be only for current 4th generation or future 5th generation processors which I can not afford

Comment

Originally posted by ayandon View Post
              Do not expect Intel will implement Mantle in their old i3/i5/i7 processors.
              This will be only for current 4th generation or future 5th generation processors which I can not afford
              If the current generation is capable of mantle, the i don't see a reason why not someone implement for the Intel mesa driver.

Comment

I can see a plus into not opening the specs yet.
                If the specs are not completely laid out in concrete yet, some troll actually might figure out where it is going, and patent the hell out of it.
                Then wait a few years, and then boom, everybody can pay up.
                As long as soft patents exist, it is too dangerous to publish incomplete specs.

Comment

Isn't Mantle based on HLSL?
                  This could be yet another 'trojan horse' inside Linux, as HLSL is controlled by Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                    Isn't Mantle based on HLSL?
                    This could be yet another 'trojan horse' inside Linux, as HLSL is controlled by Microsoft.
                    Thats why they think only about a Linux Port and not that they actually do it.

Comment

IMHO they could add GLSL support too.

Comment

Working...
                      X