No announcement yet.

Antergos: An Easy, Quick Way To Try Out Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking forward for the arch/antergos benchmarks. By they way many people say that arch is faster, and what I have seen is that debian distros distribute many binaries with debugging symbols while arch binaries are stripped from those.

Comment

As a Arch user, this is what I'd do for benchmarks:

- Install Arch once and keep it up to date.
      - Set up fstab to use UUIDs.
      - Set up NetworkManager.

Now every time I needed to run a benchmark on a new system, I'd:

- Move the drive (or an image of it) to each new machine to benchmark.
      - Set up BIOS/EFI to boot from the Arch drive.
      - Boot using the fallback kernel.
      - Log-in, run sudo mkinitcpio -p linux
      - Reboot, choose the default kernel.
      - Run benchmarks.

No need to install, and it probably is faster to setup than installing any distro.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        FTFY.
        1) gdisk/fdisk
        2) mkfs.ext4
        4) mnt /dev/sda1 /mnt
        Implying you don't use any advanced disk setup, i.e. RAID or LVM2
        3) pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel gnome nvidia syslinux
        4) genfstab
        5) arch-chroot
        6) syslinux-install_update
        7) create user
        8) touch 4 config files for localization, hostname, time, bootmanager config
        Touching them is not enough in most cases, you actually have to put in some data. touch just creates empty files.
        9) Enable NetworkManager and GDM
        10) Done.
        Well, now you have an english version of GNOME running. So what do you do next? You can surf the web. Want to play an MP3? Well, good luck without appropriate gstreamer plugins. Visit a website that uses flash? Doesn't work. Watch a video? Well, it works if you're lucky, but you are lacking VDPAU so no hardware acceleration for you, buddy. I also always recommend something for synchronizing your clock to an NTP server. And if you have a notebook, you might possibly want to install even more stuff, like bluez, bumblebee, ModemManager, you name it, and Arch offers no way to easily install all that in a way that can be described as non-basic. I like Arch and there is not a single machine I own that can but doesn't run Arch, but the I regard the claim that it can be installed in 10 minutes (even 30 minutes) as not true if you mean any more than "create a machine that provides some form of login". I don't run Arch because it is installed quickly, but because it is highly flexible - granted, Gentoo is better in that regard -, offers very good and very few distro-specific tools (like pacman), has cutting-edge software in its repositories, a competent community, it's rolling release and well-designed. I don't need Arch to be installed fast because I do it once per machine. If you actually want to install it multiple times in the same environment, the tools to automate it are all there.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
          Implying you don't use any advanced disk setup, i.e. RAID or LVM2

Touching them is not enough in most cases, you actually have to put in some data. touch just creates empty files.

Well, now you have an english version of GNOME running. So what do you do next? You can surf the web. Want to play an MP3? Well, good luck without appropriate gstreamer plugins. Visit a website that uses flash? Doesn't work. Watch a video? Well, it works if you're lucky, but you are lacking VDPAU so no hardware acceleration for you, buddy. I also always recommend something for synchronizing your clock to an NTP server. And if you have a notebook, you might possibly want to install even more stuff, like bluez, bumblebee, ModemManager, you name it, and Arch offers no way to easily install all that in a way that can be described as non-basic. I like Arch and there is not a single machine I own that can but doesn't run Arch, but the I regard the claim that it can be installed in 10 minutes (even 30 minutes) as not true if you mean any more than "create a machine that provides some form of login". I don't run Arch because it is installed quickly, but because it is highly flexible - granted, Gentoo is better in that regard -, offers very good and very few distro-specific tools (like pacman), has cutting-edge software in its repositories, a competent community, it's rolling release and well-designed. I don't need Arch to be installed fast because I do it once per machine. If you actually want to install it multiple times in the same environment, the tools to automate it are all there.
          I didn't mean the command touch. I meant edit/modify. MP3 -> VLC. Flash? Who uses flashplugin? Just use Chrome comes with its own flashplayer or install pepper-flash for chromium. Who needs hardware acceleration for youtube video? Even with the real adobe flashplugin that's unstable a hell if you override the setting in /etc/mms.conf. How is that Arch Linux's fault? Synchronizing the clock? Systemd got you covered with systemd-timesycnd. Would you have your favorite apps already installed on Ubuntu? No you'd still delete the preinstalled stuff install alternatives. Install dropbox etc. That's a pretty poor argument. Of course you can have full working Arch desktops with your favorite apps in 20 minutes.
          Last edited by blackout23; 24 June 2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I didn't mean the command touch. I meant edit/modify.
            Well, that's not "touching" a file?
            MP3 -> VLC.
            Well, I'd never consider using VLC for MP3 or any media that another player plays, but this is just personal preference, but it wasn't included in your initial pacman list.
            Flash? Who uses flashplugin?
            Never said anything about flashplugin.
            Just use Chrome comes with its own flashplayer or install pepper-flash for chromium.
            I use the latter, but both chrome and pepper-flash require you to use the AUR and setting that up needs some work as well if you want to do it convenient (editing your makepkg.conf, installing ccache, sometimes setting up distcc?) so there is actually some more work to do, and I as twitch.tv user actually need flash.
            Who needs hardware acceleration for youtube video?
            I don't need it (in fact I have it disabled right now due to bugs with the driver from git) but I prefer not hearing the fan when I watch videos in my browser.
            Even with the real adobe flashplugin that's unstable a hell if you override the setting in /etc/mms.conf.
            I'm not considering flashplugin cause it is crap, I have it installed for steam only.
            How is that Arch Linux's fault?
            Dunno, I can't remember using the word "fault".[/quote]Synchronizing the clock? Systemd got you covered with systemd-timesycnd. Would you have your favorite apps already installed on Ubuntu? No you'd still delete the preinstalled stuff install alternatives.[/quote]Well, but I think many Ubuntu users just use the default applications, and if not, this can be considered additional time to install it. I wasn't comparing Arch to different distros primarily, but to the claim that it can be installed in under an hour.
            Install dropbox etc. That's a pretty poor argument. Of course you can have full working Arch desktops with your favorite apps in 20 minutes.
            Or even less if you have written a shell script before actually starting your boot disk! But that is not the usual install case for me, it's rather a new machine with a custom configuration.

Comment

Working...
            X