In Road To Qt, Audacious Switches From GTK3 Back To GTK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    How is it not a preprocessor? What definition of preprocessor do you use to reach that conclusion?
    Well, the C++ preprocessor for example, takes the .h or .cpp file as input, changes it and then hands it over to the C++ parser.
    Moc does not change anything, the .h or .cpp file is handled by the C++ parser in its original form.

Moc, like uic or javah, is a code generator.
    Actually a lot like javah, as its input is also primarily consumed unchanged by a compiler.

Cheers,
    _
    Last edited by anda_skoa; 26 June 2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
      Well, the C++ preprocessor for example, takes the .h or .cpp file as input, changes it and then hands it over to the C++ parser.
      Moc does not change anything, the .h or .cpp file is handled by the C++ parser in its original form.

Moc, like uic or javah, is a code generator.
      Actually a lot like javah, as its input is also primarily consumed unchanged by a compiler.

Cheers,
      _
      But a dynamic code generator, as it is used on the source input to generate code for the toolchain downstream, looks very much like a preprocessor to me (a static code generator, like one that prepares boilerplate code in an IDE, would not):
      In computer science, a preprocessor is a program that processes its input data to produce output that is used as input to another program. The output is said to be a preprocessed form of the input data, which is often used by some subsequent programs like compilers.
      That's why I'm asking for your definition, to get why it would not include additional file code generation, but only include in place
      code generation.

Comment

For me a preprocessor is something that preprocesses input to make it consumable by a later stage.
        Like the C/C++ processor changing the input text to make it viable input for the C/C++ compiler.
        Without the preprocessor the compiler would not be able to process the input at all.

A Java file that contains markup for javah is still consumable in it untouched for, as is any header or source file with moc markup.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Eclipse also went Gtk3 to Gtk2

According to Michael the new Elipse Luna was supposed to be using Gtk3.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When testing Luna today everything seemed to work well. I've found it strange because Gtk3 completely f**ed up Luna test builds. Looked up which gtk version Eclipse was linking to and luckily it was version 2.

BTW, event if Gtk3 worked properly with Eclipse, it looks/works awful with the chubby/finger-friendly Adwaita theme.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
            I've found it strange because Gtk3 completely f**ed up Luna test builds. Looked up which gtk version Eclipse was linking to and luckily it was version 2.
            Test builds don't always work perfectly? No shit, Sherlock. Experimental features often have bugs in them. Eclipse's gtk3 support is still WIP despite being the default in git builds.

BTW, event if Gtk3 worked properly with Eclipse, it looks/works awful with the chubby/finger-friendly Adwaita theme.
            Use another theme then. I'm not a fan of Adwaita either. That's hardly a reason to bash the toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
              Use another theme then. I'm not a fan of Adwaita either. That's hardly a reason to bash the toolkit.
              According to Gtk developers, I'm not supposed to use another theme.
              And I've tried other theme and it broke in a minor release and than again... the theme developer gave up and so did I.

Since SpaceFM is entering the GTK3 realm (SpaceFM can now be built on anything from GTK 2.18 “I won’t give up my lenny!” thru GTK 3.6.x), I’m starting to hear more feedback …

Comment

And I've tried other theme and it broke in a minor release and than again... the theme developer gave up and so did I.

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012...ing-in-threes/
                Really, that shitty blog post again. Really!?

Comment

Nicely, that's constantly a challenge with GTK, it can be developed by Gnome coders for that Gnome computer's desktop environment. Begin using GTK intended for something diffrent you may meet up with just lack of education from their website...
                  These people needed consumer part beautification intended for Gnome, they will alter GTK to accomplish this...

Qt is often a diverse tale, it has no growth neckties in order to KDE, KDE is often a distinct project, Qt a similar... As well as with regards to the city and paperwork, Qt and GTK are merely the contrary... And it's really easy to understand, considering that Qt seemed to be constantly an item for that customers in order to develop software program and they also constantly centred with service and paperwork although GTK seemed to be never intended to be used away from "Gnome with Linux".

Comment

Exactly… Gtk3 has no decent (dark) theme, anyone making a theme for Gtk3 at this point must be mad. Gtk3 also has intentionally broken scrollbars, makes window borders disappear on non-gnome3 desktops, broken client-side decorations, and a crappy file selector.

Firefox has been a pain since FF4, but it’s getting worse and worse, and I think Gtk3 will be the final nail in the coffin. (Kinda off-topic :P)
                    Last edited by stqn; 27 June 2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by talvik View Post

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012...ing-in-threes/
                      According to that guy you should not us linux at all.
                      Also he probably promote tin foil hat....

Comment

Working...
                      X