In Road To Qt, Audacious Switches From GTK3 Back To GTK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deve View Post
    It's also strange that they are switching from recently ported gtk3 to gtk2, and they are going to switch to qt... Not sure if they really know what they want...
    It's not strange at all. They're going back to GTK2 to stay away from GTK3 while they develop the Qt version.

Comment

Monochrome icons in file-chooser do NOT respond to themes

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      /me not understanding...

What monochrome icons? Isn't that, what icon themes are for?

Client side window decorations are optional, AFAIK. Yet, they allow greater flexibility for the application designer.

Android message windows?

Furthermore, using some #ifdefs and a few build system tweaks, a gtk3 app should compile as gtk2 app.
      I cannot find any options to replace the monochrome icons in the gtk-file-chooser. They are a glaring mismatch to my custom theme, the only way I can think of to get rid of them would be to custom compile GTK3 with the icons manually switched out for my own. That would require keeping all the build-deps for GTK3 installed, rebuilding everytime GTK3 gets an update something else depends on, and be yet another fork away from the Ubuntu base of my own private remix of Ubuntustudio and Mint with perhaps a dozen installations to mantain.

If GTK3 continues in this direction, that work by the MATE team to port GTK2 to Wayland will become damned important in a few years, and the Cinnamon folks may have to lock and fork GTK3 just to keep their themes looking reasonable and window controls working. They've already had to fork most of GNOME, if they have to fork GTK3 and maybe even Clutter that's a lot more work for the mint team.

Comment

I can understand their position. I fucking hate tablets and their interfaces for dumbed-down people.

Comment

Gnome Music app keeps getting better and better. I haven't opened Audacious in 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
            I wasn't able to read much of what you said, but the last bit about QT adoption... kind of strikes me as a good thing. I'm sick of the toolkit split.
            main flaw of gtk3 is ever changing state and the fact your application looks/works completely different than everything if you don't run it in gnome. but, there were also components that are not present anywhere like AppMenu to make it even worse.

last announcements from gtk were fixing most things that were problematic for non gnome developers. only bug i can see is that they want to wait with releasing of stable 4 for scene graph. which can be way too long

qt adoption is not necessary good thing. it was competition that created dual licensed qt after all. and i'm yet to see one decent looking qt theme

Comment

Qt should be the new standard, really. But it needs to drop the proprietary version. Become the "SDL of desktop applications".

Comment

Yeah... I wish gnucash would switch to qt. It looks pretty ugly under windows or kde.

I currently use clementine for my music player (which is qt based) and it looks native on win/mac/linux/kde/gnome/etc.

Comment

Gains what?

Not reading much about this porting decision but I'm wondering what benefit it could have by going Qt.

Better cross-platform support? Yes, Qt4/5 indeed has better support on Win and OS X. But how many users who may want to use cross-platform audacious over many existing ones native on these platform.

Better Linux support? Porting to Qt4 will lose Wayland support in GTK3+. Qt5, well, has not been widely adopted by Linux distributions. Besides, desktop linux is no longer the focus point of Qt world.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    Qt should be the new standard, really. But it needs to drop the proprietary version. Become the "SDL of desktop applications".
                    The proprietary version is what makes the free one so good. There are alternative business models that could work without it, but Digia uses it to fund development so we can get the general toolkit under GPL / LGPL. It is like if you made a video game where the base game was FOSS and it had proprietary DLC you paid for to support core development.

That would actually be an interesting game development model. Albeit it is basically freemium except with more freedom.

I never looked at Qt until they changed the license model, but honestly what Digia does with their clients doesn't matter to me - I usually won't use the proprietary software produced with it anyway (I have Skype in a container for a few of my friends who like selling their souls to MS...) but we get a GPL toolkit that kicks butt with license protection from KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
                      Not reading much about this porting decision but I'm wondering what benefit it could have by going Qt.

Better cross-platform support? Yes, Qt4/5 indeed has better support on Win and OS X. But how many users who may want to use cross-platform audacious over many existing ones native on these platform.

Better Linux support? Porting to Qt4 will lose Wayland support in GTK3+. Qt5, well, has not been widely adopted by Linux distributions. Besides, desktop linux is no longer the focus point of Qt world.
                      Then what should we do? Linux desktop other than GNOME isn't the focus point of GTK3. Should we fork GTK2?

Comment

Working...
                      X