Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    So the Choromium based Opera is not open source?? I actually thought it is is, and also the German wikipedia says so:

Dunno if thats correct though....
    The engine (Blink) is open-source, but the actual browser is not. The stash, speed dial, mouse gestures, pretty much the whole GUI is closed-source.

This is the same as Chrome, which contains closed-source code. (Chromium is what you get when you strip away all the closed-source parts of Chrome.)

Comment

Too little, too late

For quite some time I was a devoted Opera user, but migrated to Firefox last year. This is too little, too late. If I wanted to use Chromium technology, I would go straight to the source and use Chromium itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nachoig View Post
        The problem is not the support for PPAPI, but if Adobe will release a redistributable package with Flash PPAPI like they do with Flash NPAPI.
        It's not Adobe that maintains/releases the PPAPI version, it's Google. And you can already get them (for use with Chromium) from dl.google.com, though that site is not browsable so to actually see the files you have to use a mirror.

Originally posted by nachoig View Post
        +1. Even Chromium has more features than Opera Chromium-based. I used Opera for 8 years, but I switched to Chromium (also tried Firefox, SeaMonkey, rekonq, QupZilla) after Opera 12.
        I only use Opera 12 for some stupid sites that don't render correctly in Konqueror even with the Webkit engine. For that usage it was better than the major browsers as it was lighter. I hope that will not change with the doubling of the version.
        Last edited by Ansla; 24 June 2014, 10:03 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          The engine (Blink) is open-source, but the actual browser is not. The stash, speed dial, mouse gestures, pretty much the whole GUI is closed-source.

This is the same as Chrome, which contains closed-source code. (Chromium is what you get when you strip away all the closed-source parts of Chrome.)
          Chrome doesn't offer additional features over Chromium beyond a more colourful logo. It ships with the Flash and PDF plugins, but these can also be used with Chromium. The PDF plugin is now open-source, so perhaps it will begin shipping with Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
            It's not Adobe that maintains/releases the PPAPI version, it's Google. And you can already get them (for use with Chromium) from dl.google.com, though that site is not browsable so to actually see the files you have to use a mirror.
            Awesome !

that should make bumping ebuilds locally for Google Chrome much easier once I know which versions really exist

Thanks a lot

I'm also wishing that they would update their branch of the 12 Version but this likely will never happen

will see how the development of Opera goes

once bookmark handling has significantly improved - I might switch over from Chromium (of which the Bookmark management isn't very advanced/user-friendly)

Comment

A benchmark of the new Opera vs Firefox vs Chrome and/or others would be interesting

Comment

Working...
              X