Open-Source Radeon Performance Boosted By Linux 3.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    RadeonSI is long deprecated. Just swapping will go with no hastle. No need to install an alternative Xorg DDX or recompile your kernel.
    What?! No.. just no. Running debian I just got direct rendering enabled for my HD7750 through Debian experimental just a few days ago!
    In ubuntu, you'll have to use some xorg edges PPA or something.
    How is it long deprecated if it's not even out of an experimental phase yet?
    GLAMOR still has some major performance bugs, I get random crashes playing XCOM, and, well, I'd say it still belongs in experimental (though it's certainly better than fglrx)

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Does anyone know if you have to do something on the software side if you swap out a 6870 for a 7970? I'm running Arch + Radeon. These benchmarks have convinced me doing this is worth it now, I'm just wondering whether it's just a case of physically swapping them, does it just figure out that it needs to use RadeonSI instead of r600 by itself?
      radeonSI is still suffering a lot under the LLVM register allocation bug. I'm running HD7850 on Arch here. A lot of games are not running at all, f.e. Xonotic (on ultra settings), Serious Sam 3, also multiple Wine games tested. Antichamber crashes after some minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
        What?! No.. just no. Running debian I just got direct rendering enabled for my HD7750 through Debian experimental just a few days ago!
        GLAMOR still has some major performance bugs, I get random crashes playing XCOM, and, well, I'd say it still belongs in experimental (though it's certainly better than fglrx)
        depends on the distro.
        ubuntu 13.10 and openSUSE 13.1 shiped radeonSI by default (both released around October 2013). There you need nothing special.
        also glamor works fine, even if it is not very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          Anyone knows when mesa will enable hyperz per default again?
          Until culprit for artifacts and lockups founded .

I guess reason for that are shadows being broken in driver... so first someone needs to look@&fix shadow state .
          Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            What will you do with your 6870? I have been considering replacing my aging 4850 with a 6870 for a long time, by now

I don't really understand those who stick with nvidia. AMD is actually open-source friendly, and hires OSS devs. Nvidia, on the other hand, has lots of proprietary technology : g-sync, 3D vision, physx, only to name a few. While freesync, tressfx, and mantle are/will be open sourced.
            Running Arch rolling, with open source drivers too. Radeon cards are by far the best performing IMO (excepted a few ones).
            We are not satisfied with the performance the open source drivers deliver. As soon as Radeon can compete with the NVidia blob, I will switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
              Debian and derivatives tend to use (slightly) outdated packages.

The person requesting information on this topic provided the fact he/she is running Arch. So no need for ppa's or mixing different packages from different repo's.

Comment

Just compiled 3.16-rc2 and compared with 3.14.7 (mesa 10.2.1 in both cases)... i seeing raw performance boost too on Athlon 5350, +7% in OpenArena 0.8.5 .

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  RadeonSI is long deprecated. Just swapping will go with no hastle. No need to install an alternative Xorg DDX or recompile your kernel.
                  You seem to be confusing radeonsi with radeonhd. Only the latter is deprecated. radeonsi is the most actively developed driver which supports AMDs newest GCN HW, while radeonhd was an alternative OSS driver developed at Novell/Suse.

Comment

Unfortunately, dpm still doesn't work with my 270X: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=99000

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                      Unfortunately, dpm still doesn't work with my 270X: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=99000
                      You running 3.15-rc5 prerelase kernel there... 40 days old kernel . Log says it is initialized, so to me that means it work

[ 64.257991] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
                      I mean why not try today stable release like 3.15.1 or current developing prerelase 3.16-rc2?

Comment

Working...
                      X