No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon Performance Boosted By Linux 3.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or maybe it is becase vblank finally working right in games with kernel 3.16 . So Unity triggers that somehow .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      As i see now running 3.16-rc4 pagefliping seems fixed, does not see those messages in Xorg.log . But i don't run Ubuntu nor Unity, so can't know for that stutter matter... maybe it is fixed maybe not .

Kabini running never better with 3.16-rc4 . Playing with vm_block_size parameter increasing that to 12 (default is 9) also gives more performance in games something like +2-3% .
      I'll get around to trying rc4 here in a bit; just tried installing it on-top of fglrx and booted to a black screen... Not sure if dkms just didn't build the kernel module or what, but I think i'll just go back to the open-source driver.

Can you explain how to mess with that vm_block_size parameter? Is it an env var, boot argument, or kernel setting?

Also, were you running mesa and stuff from git, or stable versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Can you explain how to mess with that vm_block_size parameter? Is it an env var, boot argument, or kernel setting?
        It is kernel parameter, so just boot with radeon.vm_block_size=12 and that is enough/safe for trying - it is not much of improvment but if you can measure 2-3% that is it... of course you may see more or less difference with dedicated card, this is on kabini .

Also, were you running mesa and stuff from git, or stable versions?
        Yup, mesa git, llvm 3.5 svn (actually i don't build that most of the time i have few weeks old 3.5 snapshot in Debian Sid or i can use daily via llvm/apt repo), kernel 3.16-rc4 released today that is self compiled of course, etc. .

I even run now agdf5's drm-next-3.17-wip to check if these new firmwares working.... people will need all new firmwares for 3.17 .

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Tom fixed that bug last week, unfortunately my game (DIII) now freezes within a minute... so not much better, but at least I get a minute of gaming instead of 0...
          I retested this, I thought it's been two weeks who knows...
          I believe I got more than a minute the first time, maybe 3? then the game crashed instead of freezing.
          The other few times I tried, I don't think it lasted that long...

So overall not better..

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            I retested this, I thought it's been two weeks who knows...
            I believe I got more than a minute the first time, maybe 3? then the game crashed instead of freezing.
            The other few times I tried, I don't think it lasted that long...

So overall not better..
            And bug for that is where ? I only seeing one which sounds similar and fixed for r600

r600g: Diablo III Crashes After a few minutes
            Last edited by dungeon; 06 July 2014, 11:56 PM.

Comment

As i see now running 3.16-rc4 pagefliping seems fixed, does not see those messages in Xorg.log . But i don't run Ubuntu nor Unity, so can't know for that stutter matter... maybe it is fixed maybe not .

Kabini running never better with 3.16-rc4 . Playing with vm_block_size parameter increasing that to 12 (default is 9) also gives more performance in games something like +2-3% .
              Still seem to get the pageflipping messages and random window dragging stutter on 3.16rc4; here's a snip of what Xorg.0.log states:

Code:
              [   192.201] (WW) RADEON(0): radeon_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 15676 < target_msc 15677
              [   192.283] (WW) RADEON(0): radeon_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 15683 < target_msc 15684
              [   192.401] (WW) RADEON(0): radeon_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 15693 < target_msc 15694
              [   192.448] (WW) RADEON(0): radeon_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 15697 < target_msc 15698
              There's a good 20-30+ lines of it so far though. Not sure if the pageflip or stutter are related to each other.

Considering I store my logs in RAM though, and considering the pageflip errors just keep coming, I imagine it'll become quite an issue at some point. But I could just disable page flipping again to stop such messages; not sure if there's a downside to disabling page flipping though...

Comment

And bug for that is where ? I only seeing one which sounds similar and fixed for r600

r600g: Diablo III Crashes After a few minutes
                I have no issue playing with r600g only with radeonsi

Comment

@Espionage724

Hm, can't reproduce it here - don't know what produce those messages . Some code about pagefliping go into this rc, but more into 3.17 only and some fixes are even in ddx:

So don't know, maybe it is better to just disabling it if you don't run really latest stuff .

@geearf

And i asked where is that bug about radeonsi and DIII... that means - do you filled a bug about that . Seems like spilling is fixed for you now, but maybe you got something else now with that game i am not sure... Filling a bug with more information you can help developers to see what is issue now about .

You don't need to bisect wine, mesa, kernel, etc. if you don't want/know to, but giving logs and console output when runing a game may be enough .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 07 July 2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Well... in the past when it froze I had nothing... and now I just get a D3 window about the crash, but I see nothing of interest in the command window.
                    Of course, I could be wrong and there could be something there I'm not seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      Lesson learned.
                      Dude,... clean, change thermal compound and lubricate fans every 2-4 years. This is basics....
                      If fan bearing is worn-off or sticks due to dirt residue, once its blocked 5-15 seconds and it burns through...

For me, this is easy: if its more than five fans in case or stock cooling is not efficient -> water cool. Laing, 12mm tubes, 360 / 240x240 or passive like MORA - and done.
                      Last edited by brosis; 07 July 2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X