Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Link-Time Optimizations On GCC 4.10

Phoronix: Trying Link-Time Optimizations On GCC 4.10

This weekend I ran some quick and dirty link-time optimization (LTO) benchmarks from a GCC 4.10 compiler snapshot from earlier this month. Here's the results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think you will see much performance increases in those benchmarks, as the hot paths are probably inlined already. It is something for more complex code, like firefox as an extreme example with ~6M LOC, where they probably won't waste time optimizing it manually.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      I don't think you will see much performance increases in those benchmarks, as the hot paths are probably inlined already. It is something for more complex code, like firefox as an extreme example with ~6M LOC, where they probably won't waste time optimizing it manually.
      Man, imagine the build time for Firefox with these. Or LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        Well, you could turn LTO on only for release (or release candidate) builds.

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
          Well, you could turn LTO on only for release (or release candidate) builds.
          I currently compile the Dolphin emulator with -O3 and LTO using gcc4.9 and the increase in compilation time is noticeable but not horrible..

Comment

Well, Firefox built for Windows needs a 64-bit build system because the linking (which includes LTO) takes more than 3GB of RAM. That's with Microsoft's compiler, but I bet GCC will have similar requirements.

Comment

Why do you publish articles with zero content?

If you ran benchmarks on some pre-alpha build of GCC and found nothing interesting why would you still publish the article and waste people's time?

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
                Why do you publish articles with zero content?

If you ran benchmarks on some pre-alpha build of GCC and found nothing interesting why would you still publish the article and waste people's time?
                why would you complain about things everybody knows and waste everybody's time?
                Michael needs the clicks. What do you have for an excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Knowing something of the various projects tested here, they make a reasonable amount of sense.

GraphicsMagick generally has its hot path in one c file for each utility (montage, convert, etc). So the same performance seen with/without LTO is expected.
                  Himeno I don't know, but 2% improvement isn't terrible given all the effort required was just a compile flag. Most benchmarks tend to be pretty small code segments.
                  LAME encoding is 4% better - that is worth having. As I work in Performance QA for my job, getting a 4% performance improvement is a huge win for a large project. That could equate to many months of effort by many developers on a mature project to acheive the same result with code changes.

Comment

Why do you tempt me!?!

Comment

Working...
                    X