Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A6-6400K + GA-F2A88XM-DS2 + (X)ubuntu 14.04 = ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A6-6400K + GA-F2A88XM-DS2 + (X)ubuntu 14.04 = ok?

Hi, I’m going to build a new computer and wondering if these components will give me trouble or not:

APU: AMD A6-6400K
    Motherboard: GigaByte GA-F2A88XM-DS2
    RAM: Corsair Value Select 2?2GB DDR3-1333MHz CL9
    SSD: SanDisk SSD Ultra Plus 128 Go
    PSU: Seasonic S12-330 (from 2005)

This is to replace an Athlon 64 3000+ / Radeon 9200 SE computer that still works decently, but has a couple random problems (partitions not mounting) and on which Flash games are very slow. Usage will be light (mail, web, Flash games and videos, libreoffice…). I want Flash to be fast and the computer to work fine .

I’ve read that the sensors on the F2A88XM-DS2 are not working but hopefully that’s not a big problem? (It might also be possible to make them work if the chip is the same as on the F2A88X-D3H…)

The RAM choice might seem odd but it’s because these will be extracted from my main computer once I get my new 2?4GB sticks .

Thanks!
    Last edited by stqn; 21 June 2014, 05:04 PM.

An update in case someone wants to build a similar computer. Things are working fine, but we had a few problems along the way.

- our old wireless PCI card didn’t seem to work correctly. This might have been due to a wrongly configured DHCP server, but I don’t know for sure. We replaced it with an Alfa AWUS036NH USB wireless card that works out of the box.

- it seems that I have to specifically tell the UEFI to boot on the USB, or on the internal SSD. I haven’t found a setting where the computer automatically boots on USB when a USB stick is inserted, and on the SSD otherwise.

- the VGA screen was semi-randomly displaying an “out of range” message, especially when going out of sleep, but also sometimes at boot. This was solved by forcing grub to 640x480 and adding a new 59.9Hz display mode with gtf and xrandr.

- a few problems with Light Locker in Xubuntu 14.04… it would lock the screen even with locking disabled, and put the screen to sleep even when disabled. Doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

- the Xubuntu installer asked for the WPA key before setting the keymap… it’s problematic when you’re not using qwerty.

I haven’t checked the sensors yet.

Flash games are now fast, boot time is good (something like 22 s on a cold start), LibreOffice starts in 2 or 3 seconds…

I also have to check if Ubuntu recognized the SSD and enabled discard on it. Based on what I’ve read I’ll probably have to enable it myself.
    Last edited by stqn; 31 July 2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X