Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nouveau Will Now Sync Buffer-Swaps To VBlanks By Default

Default Nouveau Will Now Sync Buffer-Swaps To VBlanks By Default

Phoronix: Nouveau Will Now Sync Buffer-Swaps To VBlanks By Default

In trying to reduce tearing and match the behavior of the Intel and Radeon drivers, the Nouveau X.Org driver will now sync buffer-swaps to vblanks by default...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNjQ

Does this option also affect games?

If yes then it is like piss off all those who are interested in high framerates and good drivers... like gamers.
    I can't understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by rudl View Post

If yes then it is like piss off all those who are interested in high framerates and good drivers... like gamers.
    I can't understand this.
    Like the article says, you can turn it off in xorg.conf. Just as easy as you could turn it on before, only the default is switched. It actually doesn't really warrant an article at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rudl View Post

I can't understand this.
    Because even on high end setups you Vblanks will still screw you? Assuming you like image fidelity. Yes, frame rates that are lower than the monitors refresh rate can suck. Frame rates HIGHER than the monitors refresh rates also can suck if a frame gets rendered midway through a refresh.

If you want the REAL fix then adopt (G/Free)Sync.

it is not only about framerates but also inputlag.
    Even if I get 60+ fps i deactivate vsync for that reason.
    Especially for competetive-ish gaming, which is dominant on linux.... dota2/cs-go/ql/quake/xonotic/ it is important to turn vsync off.

It should be up to the application .... game or windowmanager etc to set this option.
    You want to have control over this and not just force it systemwide.

Even if it is posible to deactivate, you usually don't wont to mess with xorg.conf.
    Its a nogo for new linux users, gamers that want to transtition form win to linux.
    They test linux -> game feels sluggish -> back to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Because even on high end setups you Vblanks will still screw you? Assuming you like image fidelity. Yes, frame rates that are lower than the monitors refresh rate can suck. Frame rates HIGHER than the monitors refresh rates also can suck if a frame gets rendered midway through a refresh.

If you want the REAL fix then adopt (G/Free)Sync.
    Doesn't really mater much going forward since with the DisplayPort 1.2a spec monitors will requerst frames from the card only when they are ready for them, the image fidelity is even higher then sync to vblank and has a lower latency to boot.

Itís a good thing to have vsync on by default. The few competitive gamers who donít like it can disable it. Other people will enjoy a tear-free desktop and lowered power usage by default. Although it would be nice to have an easier way (a settings GUI) to change the setting.

I really doubt competitive gamers use nouveau and I doubt they get frames high enough to need vsync with nouveau. I can barely run the desktop last time I tried them.

I'm really curious as to why the different drivers have different switches for turning off/on vsync.

At least, this fixes stuff running at hundreds, if not thousands of FPS. What a waste of power, noise and temperature.

Limiting FPS to the refresh rate + a few frames (eg. 61 FPS on a 60 Hz screen) would also work (less input lag, no stuttering when FPS are lower, but some tearing), but I don't know any driver that can limit FPS universally.