Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware

Default Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware

Phoronix: Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware

I heard a few days ago when getting into Russia from a contact that the Kremlin was looking to get rid of AMD and Intel CPUs on the basis that they're manufactured in the United States. That information has now been publicly announced and it appears they want to replace the AMD/Intel hardware with 64-bit ARM designs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNjU

*pic unrelated

Quote Originally Posted by BubuXP View Post
    *pic unrelated
    Looks related to me, although a bit confusing with water instead of beer in a phoronix article.

Obligatory movie quote: "American components, Russian components... all made in Taiwan!!!"

To be fair both Intel and AMD have global foundries through partners, but yeah I get the political angle. Moreover, most things are probably cheaper to make overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware
    Sure they will, just like they were planning to migrate away from Windows a few years ago.

Anti-American rhetoric, that's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverthorn View Post
    Looks related to me, although a bit confusing with water instead of beer in a phoronix article.
    Not many good beers in Russia, but will drink a few local ones once in a while, mostly just cognac and vodka... And water the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverthorn View Post
    You can expect there to see more водка then пиво .

For strict security enthusiasts believing AMD and Intel have been compromised by the NSA or other US agencies, it's time to celebrate.
    Yeah, now there will be hardware compromised by ФСБ. I would better use NSA compromised hardware than the one compromised by Russia and it's because I live in Russia.

Oh look 64 bit! Looks like somebody is making sure they have updated equipment. Too bad it is the Russian government.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieninja View Post
    Sure they will, just like they were planning to migrate away from Windows a few years ago.

Anti-American rhetoric, that's all it is.
    There really are some Russian-designed processors, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_2000
    It is not very fast but it's enough for some embedded applications in military.