Porting Software To Qt5, KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    You're still not thinking with ALL operating system in mind. The point of Qt is doing all this under the hood and provide the same interface for the programmer no matter wqhat platform he's on, so he doesn't have to think about different platform dependent solutions.
    yes, sure, just that the API docs even say it's platform specific and might not be supported on all platforms. As I said earlier: if the devs require the systemtrayicon to be shown to have a working application they did something wrong.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Even now a lot of people suggest using java instead of solutions like Qt.
    sure if you want the least common denominator Java is awesome. Just that it cannot provide a system tray icon on all platforms as e.g. the upcoming Plasma release not supporting xembedd. We considered Java as that important that we not even investigated what would be needed to get it on SNI.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
      Now any desktop environment on Linux should provide a PlatformTheme plugin and provide an implementation for QSystemTrayIcon - using the legacy x11 embed protocol is just ridiculous. With the help of the plugin it can be wrapped into any form which suits the desktop environment. To my knowledge no desktop environment is currently relying on xembed system tray icon as only or primary way to have a status notifier.
      Yes yes, everybody uses either KDE, Gnome, LXDE or Xfce, nothing exists outside the DEverse. Also fuck compatibility and UI paradigms I personally dislike.

Comment

Working...
      X