Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weston DRM Compositor Support Proposed For NVIDIA's TK1

Phoronix: Weston DRM Compositor Support Proposed For NVIDIA's TK1

Support for running Wayland's Weston compositor directly off the DRM kernel driver for the NVIDIA Tegra K1 SoC found within the Jetson TK1 development board has been proposed for mainline Weston...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it all mean that we should expect tablets with TK1 and native Wayland running Plasma Active, Nemo, Sailfish and etc.?

Comment

Weston DRM?

I dont quite get it...
      Codethink rewrite Weston compositor, but instead of accessing KMS, it access DRM infrastructure?
      Whats that mean? Means that NVidia also can support Wayland in the same manner?
      Please, excuse my ignorance if Im saying too much non senses.

Comment

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
        I dont quite get it...
        Codethink rewrite Weston compositor, but instead of accessing KMS, it access DRM infrastructure?
        Whats that mean? Means that NVidia also can support Wayland in the same manner?
        Please, excuse my ignorance if Im saying too much non senses.
        From having had a look at the patches, it seems they slightly modify the Weston DRM/KMS backend to support the mentioned device, which has to be handled in a different way than usual GPUs. I'm also not sure here, but I remember hearing that, while the GPU was under Nouveau territory, the display had to be handled with a different DRM driver - the Tegra. That may be the reason.

As for the NVIDIA question, I believe not. NVIDIA's official driver does not use DRM nor KMS. Another backend for Weston would have to be developed to support whatever-NVIDIA-uses.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
          From having had a look at the patches, it seems they slightly modify the Weston DRM/KMS backend to support the mentioned device, which has to be handled in a different way than usual GPUs. I'm also not sure here, but I remember hearing that, while the GPU was under Nouveau territory, the display had to be handled with a different DRM driver - the Tegra. That may be the reason.

As for the NVIDIA question, I believe not. NVIDIA's official driver does not use DRM nor KMS. Another backend for Weston would have to be developed to support whatever-NVIDIA-uses.
          thanks for the answer Kalrish.
          I googled for linux graphics stack and found out that NVidia cant implement a libdrm, unless they open sourced their code.

Comment

is it about the nouveau driver? how much slower is this driver than the official nv driver? I hope if the official get weston support.

Comment

How about MPG or H.264 acceleration on this box? E.g. VDPAU

Comment

How about enclosures for this board?

Comment

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
                  thanks for the answer Kalrish.
                  I googled for linux graphics stack and found out that NVidia cant implement a libdrm, unless they open sourced their code.
                  NVidia (and fglrx) already have their own proprietary versions of libdrm/kms - so they just need to write a Wayland backend which can access it and then ship that with their drivers. It should all be fairly simple at this point, they just have to do it and then do all the regression testing necessary to make them feel comfortable supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    NVidia (and fglrx) already have their own proprietary versions of libdrm/kms - so they just need to write a Wayland backend which can access it and then ship that with their drivers. It should all be fairly simple at this point, they just have to do it and then do all the regression testing necessary to make them feel comfortable supporting it.
                    Thanks for the answer Smitty.
                    But, when you mean "Wayland backend" you mean the compositor, right?
                    If so, NVidia would have to provide the nvidia-mutter-wayland, nvidia-efl-compositor, nvidia-kwin-compositor and so on?
                    And what about the optimus systems? It's up to the wayland client to choose the kms compositor or the nvidia compositor?
                    Im a bit confuse...

Comment

Working...
                    X