Steam's Summer Sale Is Now Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    In a Windows gaming web maybe those comentaries didn't have a place.
    But this web is about Linux, and its philosophy matters. And this is not new.

This.

If STEAM, EA, UBI and such didn't exist, the gaming companies probably have to publish its games without DRM. Or didn't publish. But in that case, they wouldn't earn money.

And probably, without platform / shop exclusivity contracts (like happen with those distributors), companies would be allmost free to explore the full platform spectrum.

I know we have been waiting a lot of years (way too many) to a change / impulse / revulsive that brings to us AAA games.

But I think that even if STEAM didn't landed on Linux, we now would have AAA games (and also the diver / technology improvements that goes with its income).

Think a bit about this.

In this last 2 - 3 years we had a lot of indie games income.
    While many of them could be considerated like "real indies" / casual games, there were others (like Legend of Grimrock) that were half the way AAA.

My point is that if Steam didn't arrive to Linux, that income tendence would still continue and finally we would have AAA on.
    it's actually ubisoft, ea, sony and microsoft. steam just has to have drm as option in order to cater everyone.

you say in last 2-3 years... you mean the time while steam is pushing it. otherwise we'd at best see some Loki2 going under. gaming would still be under the rock. you need a lot less push if someone is backing it.

but, what i do agree on is that in ideal world steam wouldn't be the only choice. just try thinking like this. steam popularized gaming on linux and when it is popular enough you'll probably have lots of drm free choices. and in marketing it's all about market. if they see steam/linux running well, that is just one big proof less they need in order to start creating games for it. marketing is all about illusion

so, i really fail to see the reason to bash steam. it's not like someone is showing it down your throat. even if you ignore them and never buy anything, they are still doing good for you since they present linux as gaming viable platform.
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 20 June 2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
      I scooped up the XCOM Complete package (conveniently became available for Linux the very day the sale started). Now I'm just waiting for Deadfall Adventures to hit 75% off.
      Yeah I did the same, and got The Bureau with it (was actualyl cheaper to buy with it, than with out).
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
        Steam the DRM sausage fest...
        Come on CDPR, hurry up with GOG(+Galaxy) for linux...

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
          If STEAM, EA, UBI and such didn't exist, the gaming companies probably have to publish its games without DRM. Or didn't publish. But in that case, they wouldn't earn money.
          DRM existed for games long before Steam/Origin/UPlay etc came about, most of it was far more of a PITA then they are with Steam. Steam also carries quite a few completely DRM free games http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Keep your credentials saved locally and use Family View to lock the account down against outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Ah, "sales," yes. The events where games are sold at the price that they should have been sold at in the first place. "Digital distribution will result in games selling for $10 on release, because of the $60 you pay for physical copies, only $10 end up coming to us due to all the middle-men" was the promise many years ago.
            I think you should google the term "market economy".

Prices are not set based on what something cost to make but on what people are willing to pay. The only time the manufacturing cost is taken into consideration is when you decide whether to make the thing at all.

Comment

Too bad the only game I'm vaguely interested in is "Interstellar Marines", I already have a lot of Valve games because I got them on Windows before Steam4Linux was even a thing, and I have a ton of indie games from Humble Indie Bundles too.

Comment

Working...
              X