Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Summer Sale Is Now Happening

Phoronix: Steam's Summer Sale Is Now Happening

For those wishing to support Valve and their partners for bringing over 500 games to Steam on Linux along with working on SteamOS and other improvements to the Linux stack like VOGL, better graphics drivers, etc, here's the perfect opportunity to show Valve your appreciation with their annual summer sale...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, "sales," yes. The events where games are sold at the price that they should have been sold at in the first place. "Digital distribution will result in games selling for $10 on release, because of the $60 you pay for physical copies, only $10 end up coming to us due to all the middle-men" was the promise many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
      Steam the DRM sausage fest...
      Come on CDPR, hurry up with GOG(+Galaxy) for linux...
      California Department of Pesticide Regulation?

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
        Steam the DRM sausage fest...
        Come on CDPR, hurry up with GOG(+Galaxy) for linux...
        Except that Steam != DRM. Don't know why that fact has to be pointed out on every single Steam thread though...

Comment

For those wishing to support Valve and their partners for bringing over 500 games to Steam on Linux
          There are a lot of AAA games in this 500's.

But how many indies?
          More than 400 for sure.

And of those indies, how many were released before Steam for Linux even exists?
          And for the rest, how many were released in other digital distributors like Humble Bundle and Desura before Steam does?

What I was trying to say, is that Steam is not the begining of Linux gaming. Even if some journalists insist on.
          Maybe of AAA gaming, but not indie gaming, which started long ago.

If I were a journalist I would not encourage people for supporting a company who don't deserve it.
          It's not as good as one may think.

If weren't for Windows Store, Valve didn't repare on Linux nor a sec.

As if Windows Store significs a problem to release games by other stores in Windows 8.

No. It's not MS fault. It's Valve's greed, who don't stand MS would sell casual/mini/mobile-looking games in a proper store. As if it would be a danger for a consolidated company who sell "real" PC games.

Greed I said.

And you think Valve cares for the filosophy of the platform it target?

Really not. It may have a pass for selling propietary games. But giving tools to developers to distribute with DRM? ....

NO. This is the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
            Except that Steam != DRM. Don't know why that fact has to be pointed out on every single Steam thread though...
            Because we don't trust an experience that's designed around the following principles:
            1. Games which run without requiring the Steam client to be active are anomalies created by eccentric developers.
            2. If users really care what's DRMed and what isn't, let them go to the trouble of keeping track."
            3. Hey, DRM-free developers, remember that you're always welcome to add DRM later. We'll keep a seat warm for you.
            4. Only crazy Stallman-ites who don't game care enough about open-source downloaders/package managers to matter.

As far as we're concerned, the "not DRMed" portion of the Steam experience is niche enough and ephemeral enough to be factored out of the equation. (In much the same way that we say "Heads or Tails" rather than "Heads or Tails or Edge")

Comment

So what is your point? Even if you say Steam=DRM, what is it what you are trying to say?
              It is as simple as that: Don't like it? Don't use it. It is not that Gabe Newell will come to your home and beat the shit out of you for not using his service.
              And funnily, in the meantime you will benefit from Steam nonetheless, with Valve actively supporting open source development. Better Mesa, OpenGL debugger, whatever will come, all free for you without DRM and without them forcing you to use their service.

Comment

http://gaben.tv/

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                  There are a lot of AAA games in this 500's.

But how many indies?
                  More than 400 for sure.

And of those indies, how many were released before Steam for Linux even exists?
                  And for the rest, how many were released in other digital distributors like Humble Bundle and Desura before Steam does?

What I was trying to say, is that Steam is not the begining of Linux gaming. Even if some journalists insist on.
                  Maybe of AAA gaming, but not indie gaming, which started long ago.

If I were a journalist I would not encourage people for supporting a company who don't deserve it.
                  It's not as good as one may think.

If weren't for Windows Store, Valve didn't repare on Linux nor a sec.

As if Windows Store significs a problem to release games by other stores in Windows 8.

No. It's not MS fault. It's Valve's greed, who don't stand MS would sell casual/mini/mobile-looking games in a proper store. As if it would be a danger for a consolidated company who sell "real" PC games.

Greed I said.

And you think Valve cares for the filosophy of the platform it target?

Really not. It may have a pass for selling propietary games. But giving tools to developers to distribute with DRM? ....

NO. This is the worst.
                  Yes.

Valve sees MS store as a piece of shit. So what do they do? Go to the lowest end of the market. So much greed here. While I don't really like the idea of it, I wouldn't really be too surprised if Valve had to take a dip to get its foot into the Linux market.

Yes there are games that came before Steam. Meat Boy, Shank, Doom 3, etc. I remember these times. Steam, however, brought a more reliable distribution center and a company to back it with. Games that were DRM-free stayed DRM-free, games that aren't... well they aren't anyways. You can look at Steam and view it as a way to make games more reliable to sell on the Linux platform.

I'm growing to become violent towards people who bash Valve because they are pushing for a market in Linux gaming where other companies simply wouldn't. If Valve stopped their push and other companies followed suite, you would still be sitting behind your fucking keyboard wondering if next year would be the year of Linux Gaming(TM).

Put more thought into your words instead of spouting arrogant and hateful drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    So what is your point? Even if you say Steam=DRM, what is it what you are trying to say?
                    It is as simple as that: Don't like it? Don't use it. It is not that Gabe Newell will come to your home and beat the shit out of you for not using his service.
                    And funnily, in the meantime you will benefit from Steam nonetheless, with Valve actively supporting open source development. Better Mesa, OpenGL debugger, whatever will come, all free for you without DRM and without them forcing you to use their service.
                    My viewpoint is exactly what you just said. I don't like it so I won't use it, but I am definitely very thankful for their efforts to improve the ecosystem.

I was just explaining what's going on in our heads when you say "Steam" and we say "DRM? No thanks."

Comment

Working...
                    X