NVIDIA Wins Over AMD For Linux Gaming Ultra HD 4K Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Slightly OT: Does anyone know if you can downsample on Linux?
    Sure.
    Code:
    xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1440x900 --scale-from 5120x3200 --panning 5120x3200
    It should work in theory without the panning part, but in practice the mouse will be stuck in the 1440x900 part of the picture, adding the panning option fixes it. Make sure to set panning back when you switch to the original resolution:
    Code:
    xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1440x900 --scale 1x1 --panning 1440x900
    Not sure why you'd want to do that though, it won't look good.

Comment

NVIDIA Wins Over AMD For Linux Gaming Ultra HD 4K Performance
      I must be blind again , i only see three green cards out of price concurention out there .

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I feel like it won't be long until AMD's radeon drivers will catch up with the nvidia closed source.
        For how long are people are saying this now?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          For how long are people are saying this now?
          Maybe he thinks about opensource radeon driver . That driver scale up very well with higher resolutions, but only with hyperz enabled... when i see here fglrx on Radeon 7950 can beat GeForce 780Ti in Counter Strike Source benchmark, i came to think opensource radeon driver with the latest code can beat nvidia blob easely there too .

Just one who have a cards need to benchmark that scenario .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Maybe he thinks about opensource radeon driver . That driver scale up very well with higher resolutions, but only with hyperz enabled... when i see here fglrx on Radeon 7950 can beat GeForce 780Ti in Counter Strike Source benchmark, i came to think opensource radeon driver with the latest code can beat nvidia blob easely there too .

Just one who have a cards need to benchmark that scenario .
            That is what I meant. The open source drivers have made very steady progress and are already starting to exceed catalyst. It doesn't matter "how long" people said it will catch up, because it IS catching up. It has a long way to go while at the same time it's completion is just around the corner. Considering how far behind they were before AMD's involvement and considering the lack of support, they're doing an amazing job. Catalyst, however.... I don't see that keeping up for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
              Uhn, I could make a quad crossfire of R9 270x (~200$ each) for the price of a single GTX 780 Ti (~800$).
              Sure, Nvidia "wins".
              Gtx 770 (~300$) beats r9 290 (~360$) in all tests.

damn even the 7950 is too close in performance with the 290 in some cases... they need to fix the drivers.

Also good look with crossfires... is not too reliable even on windows games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
                Gtx 770 (~300$) beats r9 290 (~360$) in all tests.
                There are 11 tests, r9 290 is not available in 4 of them, that is 7 tests... in those 7 tests GTX 770 beats r9 290 in 5 of them. How you can call that "all tests" ?

In Europe prices for those two cards are the same .
                Last edited by dungeon; 19 June 2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  There are 11 tests, r9 290 is not available in 4 of them, that is 7 tests... in those 7 tests GTX 770 beats r9 290 in 5 of them. How you can call that "all tests" ?

In Europe prices for those two cards are the same .
                  That should depend in what part of Europe then, cause I'm European and the prices are far to be the same.

Spain :S

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
                    That should depend in what part of Europe then, cause I'm European and the prices are far to be the same.

Spain :S
                    Germany, Austria, Balkans, etc.

Currently GTX 770 is at 300-423€ and R9 290 319-433€ i call that the same .

Comment

Gtx 770 275,90€
                      r9 290 339,90€

That's the lowest prices I've found so far for non-refurbished hardware.
                      Last edited by Sdar; 19 June 2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X