Debian Switches Back To Using GLIBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTown View Post
    (Not a troll against procd, as I have no idea what it is or what it stands for, but their website needs an update).
    Huh, I thought you left things out on your own, but apparently that's an honest quote...

From the looks of it, procd comes close to the idea of "use a single /etc/rc file as the init system"... Makes sense for OpenWRT, no sense on anything resembling a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      From the looks of it, procd comes close to the idea of "use a single /etc/rc file as the init system"... Makes sense for OpenWRT, no sense on anything resembling a desktop.
      The site *is* pretty unclear, but the way I read it, it's supposed to be a process-manager daemon like upstart or systemd - just a very, very minimal one designed for embedded use. On their "architecture" table, it seems to take on the traditional init functions, plus logging, plus service monitoring. And yes, I suspect it's very well suited for the role it's designed for (i.e an system running OpenWRT), but not so much for a desktop...

Comment

And switch back to the real cdrtools from cdrkit, too!

Comment

Thanks GreatEmerald and Delgarde for the explanation.

Originally posted by yourWife View Post
          And switch back to the real cdrtools from cdrkit, too!
          Whose wife, Micheal's? Jokes aside that is an awesome user name!

Also, it seems if a software project is forked, Debian will use that fork. I wonder if all of these forks followed the same pattern for the inclusion of libav into Debian: the Debian maintainer of that package is a part of the fork...
          Last edited by CTown; 20 June 2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            The Embedded GLIBC (GLIBC) is now a "dead project"
            Shouldn't this be:
            The Embedded GLIBC (EGLIBC) is now a "dead project"

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Also, it seems if a software project is forked, Debian will use that fork. I wonder if all of these forks followed the same pattern for the inclusion of libav into Debian: the Debian maintainer of that package is a part of the fork...
              Well, to be honest, cdrtools are pretty stupid, too, due to the license. Which was chosen out of spite for the fork, no less. Hence best to trash both and start anew, which is exactly what libburnia is doing.

Comment

Well, to be honest, cdrtools are pretty stupid, too, due to the license. Which was chosen out of spite for the fork, no less. Hence best to trash both and start anew, which is exactly what libburnia is doing.
                That is what Debian is doing, for example since Squeeze release (2011.) isos are maded with xorriso - utility powered by libburnia libs .

Comment

That's pretty cool, as it seems that libburnia offers a drop in replacement to crdrtools/cdrecord called cdrskin (learned that off Wikipedia. Also, since dungeon claims (the world's most conservative distro) Debian has been using bits of it since 2011, it must be stable by now.

Comment

Working...
                  X