Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

Phoronix: Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

The Nouveau X.Org driver (xf86-video-nouveau) now has basic support for NVIDIA's newest Maxwell graphics processor. Related to that, there's also GLAMOR 2D acceleration support available within the Nouveau DDX...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?
      Correct.

Comment

Wayland uses openGL natively. GLAMOR basically allows Xorg to do the same.

Comment

Nouveau driver might sneak up on us

The other day I upgraded to the nv blob to latest beta drivers. Then I went merrily on my way to continue my days work. All my desktop apps worked fine, and desktop compositing looked as smooth as normal on my gtx 660.

I noticed about an hour later that kde-jockey was prompting me to select a driver - and that I had been using Nouveau during that time and hadn't even noticed. It had just worked. That's high praise, IMO.

With dynamic reclocking and recent NV contributions, Nouveau is starting to look pretty nice. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
            The other day I upgraded to the nv blob to latest beta drivers. Then I went merrily on my way to continue my days work. All my desktop apps worked fine, and desktop compositing looked as smooth as normal on my gtx 660.

I noticed about an hour later that kde-jockey was prompting me to select a driver - and that I had been using Nouveau during that time and hadn't even noticed. It had just worked. That's high praise, IMO.

With dynamic reclocking and recent NV contributions, Nouveau is starting to look pretty nice. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!
            Oh yeah, nouveau is beautiful if you're just doing desktop stuff and general-usage stuff. Where it falls short is games and (possibly) video rendering because of it lack of reclocking.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Yeah, Glamor is a hardware accelerated implementation of the XRender API - which as the name suggests, is only used in X applications.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                Wayland uses openGL natively. GLAMOR basically allows Xorg to do the same.
                Wayland can't use openGL because Wayland does no rendering. If application uses openGL depends on application or its dependencies e.g. Qt / Gtk+ / Cairo etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                  Wayland can't use openGL because Wayland does no rendering. If application uses openGL depends on application or its dependencies e.g. Qt / Gtk+ / Cairo etc.
                  Most any of the Wayland Compositors will be using OpenGL or something similar for acceleration so stop being pedantic.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    Most any of the Wayland Compositors will be using OpenGL or something similar for acceleration so stop being pedantic.
                    There is difference between Wayland compositor and Wayland application.

Comment

Working...
                    X