Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,653

    Default Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

    Phoronix: Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

    The Nouveau X.Org driver (xf86-video-nouveau) now has basic support for NVIDIA's newest Maxwell graphics processor. Related to that, there's also GLAMOR 2D acceleration support available within the Nouveau DDX...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNDM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?
    Correct.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Wayland uses openGL natively. GLAMOR basically allows Xorg to do the same.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    72

    Default Nouveau driver might sneak up on us

    The other day I upgraded to the nv blob to latest beta drivers. Then I went merrily on my way to continue my days work. All my desktop apps worked fine, and desktop compositing looked as smooth as normal on my gtx 660.

    I noticed about an hour later that kde-jockey was prompting me to select a driver - and that I had been using Nouveau during that time and hadn't even noticed. It had just worked. That's high praise, IMO.

    With dynamic reclocking and recent NV contributions, Nouveau is starting to look pretty nice. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deppman View Post
    The other day I upgraded to the nv blob to latest beta drivers. Then I went merrily on my way to continue my days work. All my desktop apps worked fine, and desktop compositing looked as smooth as normal on my gtx 660.

    I noticed about an hour later that kde-jockey was prompting me to select a driver - and that I had been using Nouveau during that time and hadn't even noticed. It had just worked. That's high praise, IMO.

    With dynamic reclocking and recent NV contributions, Nouveau is starting to look pretty nice. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!
    Oh yeah, nouveau is beautiful if you're just doing desktop stuff and general-usage stuff. Where it falls short is games and (possibly) video rendering because of it lack of reclocking.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?
    Yeah, Glamor is a hardware accelerated implementation of the XRender API - which as the name suggests, is only used in X applications.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Wayland uses openGL natively. GLAMOR basically allows Xorg to do the same.
    Wayland can't use openGL because Wayland does no rendering. If application uses openGL depends on application or its dependencies e.g. Qt / Gtk+ / Cairo etc.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    Wayland can't use openGL because Wayland does no rendering. If application uses openGL depends on application or its dependencies e.g. Qt / Gtk+ / Cairo etc.
    Most any of the Wayland Compositors will be using OpenGL or something similar for acceleration so stop being pedantic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    Most any of the Wayland Compositors will be using OpenGL or something similar for acceleration so stop being pedantic.
    There is difference between Wayland compositor and Wayland application.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •