Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

Default Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

Phoronix: Nouveau X.Org Driver Adds Maxwell & GLAMOR Acceleration Support

The Nouveau X.Org driver (xf86-video-nouveau) now has basic support for NVIDIA's newest Maxwell graphics processor. Related to that, there's also GLAMOR 2D acceleration support available within the Nouveau DDX...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNDM

Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Wayland (not XWayland or Xorg) doesn't need Glamor, right? It's purely an X.org issue, correct?
    Correct.

Wayland uses openGL natively. GLAMOR basically allows Xorg to do the same.

Default Nouveau driver might sneak up on us

The other day I upgraded to the nv blob to latest beta drivers. Then I went merrily on my way to continue my days work. All my desktop apps worked fine, and desktop compositing looked as smooth as normal on my gtx 660.

I noticed about an hour later that kde-jockey was prompting me to select a driver - and that I had been using Nouveau during that time and hadn't even noticed. It had just worked. That's high praise, IMO.

With dynamic reclocking and recent NV contributions, Nouveau is starting to look pretty nice. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!

Quote Originally Posted by deppman View Post
    The other day I upgraded to the nv blob to latest beta drivers. Then I went merrily on my way to continue my days work. All my desktop apps worked fine, and desktop compositing looked as smooth as normal on my gtx 660.

I noticed about an hour later that kde-jockey was prompting me to select a driver - and that I had been using Nouveau during that time and hadn't even noticed. It had just worked. That's high praise, IMO.

With dynamic reclocking and recent NV contributions, Nouveau is starting to look pretty nice. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!
    Oh yeah, nouveau is beautiful if you're just doing desktop stuff and general-usage stuff. Where it falls short is games and (possibly) video rendering because of it lack of reclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Yeah, Glamor is a hardware accelerated implementation of the XRender API - which as the name suggests, is only used in X applications.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Wayland uses openGL natively. GLAMOR basically allows Xorg to do the same.
    Wayland can't use openGL because Wayland does no rendering. If application uses openGL depends on application or its dependencies e.g. Qt / Gtk+ / Cairo etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    Wayland can't use openGL because Wayland does no rendering. If application uses openGL depends on application or its dependencies e.g. Qt / Gtk+ / Cairo etc.
    Most any of the Wayland Compositors will be using OpenGL or something similar for acceleration so stop being pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    Most any of the Wayland Compositors will be using OpenGL or something similar for acceleration so stop being pedantic.
    There is difference between Wayland compositor and Wayland application.