X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El_Presidente View Post
    4.3 works flawless on ubuntu 14.04,
    do whatever you want im happy with the new release

and for the pulseaudio whiners, just install it you still can use alsa for the programs you want...
    i really love the easy to use pulseaudio sound settings with multiple soundcards...
    I was originally hesitant to use pulse because of the issues it caused, but I am a happy camper now that I switched.

Set flat-volumes = no in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and it remembers application-specific volumes. You can stream audio to other pulse systems. Also, it is relatively easy to configure. However, most of all: it creates a standard. This is why Microsoft used it here.

Comment

Any screenshots of his new UI? I wonder if we left 2006 to be stuck with something from 2009.

Comment

Dropped ALSA? I guess I'll continue my policy of sticking with the 2.2 beta while I figure out what about my router config breaks WebRTC. (ALSA support in existing 4.x versions was already broken on my Ubuntu with PA removed.)

Originally posted by El_Presidente View Post
        and for the pulseaudio whiners, just install it you still can use alsa for the programs you want...
        i really love the easy to use pulseaudio sound settings with multiple soundcards...
        Given that recent versions are supposed to implement some really good echo cancellation and that it'd let me redirect an app's output over the LAN after saying "Hey, listen to this!", I'd love to use PulseAudio but, every time I've tried leaving the distro-provided PulseAudio intact, I've encountered a showstopping bug.

(The last one was when PulseAudio would get stuck consuming 100% of one CPU core when I used Wine, requiring me to `killall` PulseAudio to recover from it.)

I run pure ALSA because asoundrc is too fragile and I got tired of fighting ALSA configuration bugs I introduced in the process of setting up a "pulse on top of dmix" stack where PulseAudio is only used by apps that have no other choice.

Comment

And still no group video chat!! Sorry MS, sticking to Google Hangout.

Comment

This version dropped support for direct Alsa support; please install PulseAudio 4.0 or greater for the best calling experience.
            Linux: how are we going to fuck our users today?

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            Dropped ALSA? I guess I'll continue my policy of sticking with the 2.2 beta while I figure out what about my router config breaks WebRTC. (ALSA support in existing 4.x versions was already broken on my Ubuntu with PA removed.)
            Likewise here - still using 2.2.0.35 and not going to upgrade any time soon. Fuck new features when crucial old ones are constantly removed or broken beyond repair.
            Last edited by birdie; 18 June 2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Dropped alsa support? what in the flying fuck?

Fuck pulse, it fucking sucks! There is literally no good reason to use it unless you need it for some of it's specialized features (like streaming audio between systems/over the net. or you really really really really desperately want to be able to control per application volume settings via the mixer (a feature that fucks up volume mixing for everyone who doesn't...)) pulse is just fucking bad. Why on earth is it being used by default on all the fattest distros?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                really really really really desperately want to be able to control per application volume settings via the mixer
                Seriously? This is an extremely basic feature in 2014. Other OSes had it for years and we should be thankful to pulseaudio for bringing it to Linux.

Personally, I use per-app volumes all the time and can't imagine ever going back to "single global volume".

Comment

One can make per application volume control just with Alsa, using dmix.

Comment

LOL at the crybabies crying about PA.

Your tears are delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                      LOL at the crybabies crying about PA.

Your tears are delicious.
                      lol. my thoughts exactly.

Comment

Working...
                      X