Skype 4.3 For Linux Released With Updated UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
    Other OSes had it for years and we should be thankful to pulseaudio for bringing it to Linux.
    Are you serious?? OSS had this for ages before pulse even existed...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Are you serious?? OSS had this for ages before pulse even existed...
      Which is why I have always called for improving ALSA instead of adding another layer that fills in the holes.

Comment

yes we all hate X but about Skype ...

No particular hatred for PA, ALSA, systemd or whatever we'ŗe complaining about today, but ...

This doesn't look like it has any significant upgrades? The Win/OSX version is 6.x (I think) and we're still at 4.x. Yes i have some audio quirks with Skype, but the thing I really dislike is the old fashoined interface (split windows, interaction with the icon always take me to the contact list and not the message list.) Why can't we get a 64 bit version too?!? Skype is the only reason I have all of the 32 bit compat libraries installed.

If only my company would drop Skype I would be so happy. Google chat works well enough, and now there is a rush of new collab/com tools like hipchat etc.

Comment

Just look at people throwing tantrum about dropped ALSA support in an application that deliberately records all your conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
            The real issues are with the UI (all grey looks like win95)
            That problem might be due to the fact it's 32-bit. You need all the 32-bit versions of the theming bits for it to work correctly, and even then Skype somehow doesn't seem to follow the KDE desktop theme...

Comment

2 things to say

Originally posted by brent View Post
              Does it support IPv6 yet?
              1) Just disabel ipv4 routing(you are not using tunnel right?) and you will find out.
              2) Many of your friends support ipv6? Depending on network configuration, skype calls are made directly. Source: me. I have non NATed IP address, and I always got phone call dropped within 15 seconds, and second takes place automatically. I checked packet flow with tcpdump and realised that i have direct communication with other person I talked to, so skype is P2P phone calling. How many of your peers are IPv6?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                That problem might be due to the fact it's 32-bit. You need all the 32-bit versions of the theming bits for it to work correctly, and even then Skype somehow doesn't seem to follow the KDE desktop theme...
                When you install the proper libraries and such you can get it working with your theme even on GNOME. It's sketchy because microsoft sucks but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                No particular hatred for PA, ALSA, systemd or whatever we'ŗe complaining about today, but ...

This doesn't look like it has any significant upgrades? The Win/OSX version is 6.x (I think) and we're still at 4.x. Yes i have some audio quirks with Skype, but the thing I really dislike is the old fashoined interface (split windows, interaction with the icon always take me to the contact list and not the message list.) Why can't we get a 64 bit version too?!? Skype is the only reason I have all of the 32 bit compat libraries installed.

If only my company would drop Skype I would be so happy. Google chat works well enough, and now there is a rush of new collab/com tools like hipchat etc.
                1. Version numbers mean nothing
                2. Yeah the UI sucks
                3. Realistically 32-bit binaries are fine, I prefer them myself but that's just me. I suspect there is an underlying 'I don't feel like it' reason from Microsoft
                4. hipchat is just as bad, realistically. Google Chat is technically the least evil, while something like Mumble is the best. Mumble doesn't support video though, I haven't had the use case where that's important for me in my work.
                Last edited by jimbohale; 19 June 2014, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                  When you install the proper libraries and such you can get it working with your theme even on GNOME. It's sketchy because microsoft sucks but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
                  It's easier to get it work with GTK themes because qtconfig actually allows choosing that. It doesn't allow choosing Oxygen, only "desktop settings", which don't translate to Skype well for some reason.

Comment

shitty option

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    And still no group video chat!! Sorry MS, sticking to Google Hangout.
                    For us, Linux users, it's also a bad option.

Comment

The Skype for Linux version number has finally passed the one for the build I run on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X