Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Ext2Fsd: EXT3/EXT4 Support Now Works On Windows 8

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    81

    Default

    when I build a multi-booting system, I usually set aside 32 or 64G for a fat32 partition, this is usually plenty for file space that needs to be shared with windows, usually downloaded stuff, utilities, documentation etc.

    more and more I simply run Windows in a VM, and then use SMB/CIFS or even winscp to copy files if needed.

    however, a solid ext3/ext4 driver for windows that supports journalling would be nice, but maybe ZFS would be a good long term target instead?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
    but maybe ZFS would be a good long term target instead?
    Only if ZFS gets a Kernel Implementation and not the crappy FUSE debris. (Thats also fits for Windows, a ZFS driver would be awesome but not as a dokan driver)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    Its just that no one really needs that stuff. Windows has its own ntfs, exfat, fat32 filesystems, its more than enough for everything. And there really is no point in supporting so many linux home-made quality filesystems, that are all the time in alpha state, and before it reaches stable, it goes obsolete. And its better to use the whole package, you will not see anyone driving a car, that is build from 10 different car manufacturers parts.
    Car manufacturer's source parts (an there's 100's of thousands of them) from anyone and everyone when building their cars. Whoever can supply a part the cheapest. So the analogy is somewhat unfounded in my mind =) But I get your point.

    And Window's FS' are not enough for everything. Otherwise we wouldn't have over a dozen more available for Linux/BSD now. Lustre, BTRFS, ZFS et al for eg. I'd use an open source filesystem over NTFS because I can go both ways with both OS's then. I have to use Windows here in Aus. There's no two ways about it if I wanna work in IT. To many people who just can't stand the idea of leaving Windows. Same with OS X. Having only Windows FS' on my Windows machine's makes my work just that little bit longer and annoying. I've lived with it long enough, but I am damn curious as to why it hasn't happend =D

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
    when I build a multi-booting system, I usually set aside 32 or 64G for a fat32 partition, this is usually plenty for file space that needs to be shared with windows, usually downloaded stuff, utilities, documentation etc.

    more and more I simply run Windows in a VM, and then use SMB/CIFS or even winscp to copy files if needed.

    however, a solid ext3/ext4 driver for windows that supports journalling would be nice, but maybe ZFS would be a good long term target instead?
    ZFS at least is covered by patents isn't it, so that might be feasible if MS or anyone else wanted to do it. No idea if it's technically feasible as I've no idea how MS would handle other FS at the kernel or river levels.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    Its easier to blame Microsoft, that they don't implement a FOSS Filesystem. Why would Microsoft do it?
    I'm not concerned with MS doing it, because they wont. I was just wondering why nobody else has done it, and what the reasoning for not doing it were. If it's to hard and too much work because all the MS stuff is shut down tight and the FS drivers need to dig deep in their kernel and the effort involved returns only minimal gains (who needs EXT4 on Windows? Well, I'd like it, but it's not necessary).

  6. #16

    Default

    Ironically, ads on the Ext2Fsd website led to a malware being installed on my Windows 7 laptop. That suspect ad mimicked a download button.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I used to use ext2fsd for everything for games and storage of large files, but Windows went kaput for some reason half a year ago, I finally reinstalled it last month and decided not to bother with ext2fsd because I was doubting whether it performed any better than NTFS, defragmenting isn't such a big deal when you have it as your screensaver (MyDefrag), and it was a little confusing trying to map the drives (possibly buggy).

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    Well, the better solution would be using paragon ext driver, which actually IS a driver, and not like with ext2fsd, will integrate your ext partitions into windows system.
    I realize Windows itself isn't open source, but I would rather not add more closed source software, especially from a company I have never heard of before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    Only if ZFS gets a Kernel Implementation and not the crappy FUSE debris. (Thats also fits for Windows, a ZFS driver would be awesome but not as a dokan driver)
    Have you been living under a rock? http://zfsonlinux.org/
    Kinda the same deal as with ext2fsd for me, I wasn't sure if it performed any better than ext4 and the compression wasn't very effective on games (which are already compressed), so I switched back to ext4. Before zfs, I also tried btrfs, it ended the same way, no noticeable benefit.

    Moral of the story is, unless you know you need something, just stick with what works.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    Well, the better solution would be using paragon ext driver
    Nope. It corrupts the filesystem. It's buggy as hell and sometimes reads garbage. The real problem is the garbage written to the filesystem structs though.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chinoto View Post
    I realize Windows itself isn't open source, but I would rather not add more closed source software, especially from a company I have never heard of before.


    Have you been living under a rock?
    Exactly, you must be living under the rock if you dont know this company But its different in linux world - you cant know much, cause most of the software is like 1-2 mens hobby. Anyway, closed source software is the best software, because people want to keep their best algorithms as secret, and get money from it, and at the same time you can use their products, so its win-win, if you are not some kind of paranoic, that is afraid, that closed source software will eat him at night You know, even if stuff is free and open source, people arent writing it for free, so its like most of that stuff is dead anyways, very little programs goes with the world, the rest of it is still in 80's, because people need money to buy stuff to live, and if that job for money isnt developing linux programs, they dont have much time to make good products in their free time.

    And there is tons of unknown filesystems in linux because people dont have what to do better, not to mention, that most of those fs going through very exciting dev cycle - alpha stage -> dead project

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    81

    Default

    @startzz: I prefer open source, but I am willing to use closed source if it's sufficiently better or simply has no alternatives (eg, games, Flash, Skype, MyDefrag). The difference between me and Nilles, is that I found something that worked and was satisfied, so I had no reason to seek out something else. Nilles on the other hand seems to want a kernel implementation of zfs, so I would have expected his interest in it to lead him to the information that such a thing exists.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •