Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wayland-based Compositor With An Oculus Rift

Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Maybe the client's texture is just mapped to a cube ? Or maybe the cube isn't even a client wayland app, but just a feature of the compositor ?
    He actually implemented the concept of 2D, 2.5D and 3D window in his compositor, so the cube is probably a 3D client

Quote Originally Posted by gufide View Post
    He actually implemented the concept of 2D, 2.5D and 3D window in his compositor, so the cube is probably a 3D client
    I assume in this case the compositor is not a standard Wayland compositor, or is it?

Then it would be an extension to the wayland spec, wouldn't it ?

I don't know the technical aspects of this feature, the code is on github so you're free to check!

Not useless, instead of buying 3 screens, I would have one occulus desktop. And windows placed in a 3D physical environement could be way more intuitive than every single 2D desktop.
    Actually thats why I bought the rift SDK 2. Just for that. I can spend money on a very expensive monitor with special anti-glare coating, and have a very expensive card just to drive the enormous amount of pixels a screen these days have (>2.5k), or I can have a mediocre card, and a rift at 1/2 the price and hope something like this turns up, or try looking at compositing myself. Even the 15 year old bigger than screen scrollable desktop would have worked.

exactly - it's an extension to provide the client with the projection, and have it send 3d surfaces rather than flat 2d