Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying Out Nouveau GPU Re-Clocking On Linux 3.16

Default Trying Out Nouveau GPU Re-Clocking On Linux 3.16

Phoronix: Trying Out Nouveau GPU Re-Clocking On Linux 3.16

With the Linux 3.16 kernel comes the ability to re-clock select NVIDIA GeForce GPUs when using the open-source, reverse-engineered Nouveau driver. Here's my first impressions with trying out this option to maximize the performance of NVIDIA graphics cards on open-source drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20609

The benchmarks will be interesting! Could you include (archived) OSS-driver results from similar-priced AMD cards for reference?

Michael, Do you ever fear about hardware dying/breaking while doing these types of tests?

I'll probably wait until its at least 90% reliable before testing it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    The benchmarks will be interesting! Could you include (archived) OSS-driver results from similar-priced AMD cards for reference?
    That would require he uses the same computer and setup, which with the way he seems to cycle through OSs, he probably doesn't have the same install anymore. Then again, I'm just assuming, I really have no fucking clue

It's a shame the fan goes instantly at 100%, it can't be considered usable until proper fan control is done.

Default Fans can be modded or put on hardware controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    It's a shame the fan goes instantly at 100%, it can't be considered usable until proper fan control is done.
    If the only issue in reclocking was fan control, I'd wire the fans to a $5 rheostat from Radio Shack as a controller. I've got two of those on my current machine, one for the case fans, and one for the voltage-controlled fans on a big tower CPU cooler whose 135mm fans are only voltage controlled. Not enough control range and entirely too noisy, so I turn them down in normal use and full throttle them for video rendering jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    Fan management is done, the bug has been found (the temperature couldn't be read at higher clocks) and fixed ( http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~darktam...cfe77b36c66ca6 ).

It's probably better to make such tests on a laptop system (no fan, and as usual it's a good guess that some developers use laptops/thinkpads).

Default Some laptops have loud screeing fans

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    It's probably better to make such tests on a laptop system (no fan, and as usual it's a good guess that some developers use laptops/thinkpads).
    Laptops, even my little netbook, do in fact have fans. Some of these tiny, small-diameter fans make a loud screeeing noise when full throttled

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Laptops, even my little netbook, do in fact have fans. Some of these tiny, small-diameter fans make a loud screeeing noise when full throttled
    Yes, but they are not controlled by Nouveau