Intel VA-API Driver Gets H.264 Encoding Improvements For Broadwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel VA-API Driver Gets H.264 Encoding Improvements For Broadwell

Phoronix: Intel VA-API Driver Gets H.264 Encoding Improvements For Broadwell

Version 1.3.2 of Intel's VA-API driver for open-source video encode/decode using modern Intel HD Graphics GPUs has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any news about H.265?
    With 4K screens becoming the norm it seems to be a bit more relevant than H.264.

Comment

Broadwell isn't that exciting (yet).

We would be more interested in improvements for hardware that is actually available like Haswell :-) Are there any or is Haswell already abandoned among new development/new features?

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
        Any news about H.265?
        With 4K screens becoming the norm it seems to be a bit more relevant than H.264.
        H.265 decoding isn't coming until Skylake with hardware encoding several years away and all 4K content is currently encoded with H.264, so it's far less relevant at this point and will be so for at least another several years while VP9 and H.265 mature.

Comment

Originally posted by arekm View Post
          Broadwell isn't that exciting (yet).

We would be more interested in improvements for hardware that is actually available like Haswell :-) Are there any or is Haswell already abandoned among new development/new features?
          Yeah, I have that feeling too. Is the 3.0 release of the sna driver already out?

Comment

Does someone know about tools for x264 encoding on linux which use va-api? AFAIK ffmpeg supports only decoding...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
              and all 4K content is currently encoded with H.264
              Not true, Netflix's 4k streams utilize H.265.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                Any news about H.265?
                I'm just wondering if theres going to be a new mPCIe DSP for VP9/h.265 like the Broadcom CrystalHD was for h.264 decoding upgrades to low end gear. I've got some Athlon and E series systems that could use it to stay completely relevant for their tasks for years to come.

Comment

haswell and broadwell will be able to partially hardware decode h265 using shaders but that is only for some parts of the codec and shaders isn't true hardware decoding as that requires dedicated circuitry. There's no chance of getting h265 encoding in broadwell. I doubt it will even be available in skylake. There's no news about VP9 decoding from intel either, would be nice if we could hardware decode that in skylake as youtube is now using that and it uses about 22% cpu for me in 1080p on a core i5 430m 1st gen laptop apu on windows. 1080p h264 videos use less than 4% cpu on windows

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Not true, Netflix's 4k streams utilize H.265.

http://www.dailytech.com/Netflix+to+...ticle33962.htm
                    We're not talking about Netflix. All downloadable 4K content currently on the web is H.264 and the current GPUs all support 4K decoding of H.264 streams. H.265 encoders are not going to be widely adopted for some time because they aren't very efficient and encoding via software requires massive computing power.

Comment

Working...
                    X