Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock A780FullDisplayPort

Phoronix: ASRock A780FullDisplayPort

In April we had looked at the ECS A780GM-A v1.0 motherboard, which boasted AMD's new Radeon HD 3200 graphics. For being an integrated graphics solution, we were certainly pleased with the performance, as it had performed about the same as the discrete Radeon HD 2400PRO. With the success of the AMD 780G Chipset, we have decided to look at another one of these motherboards. This time around we are looking at the ASRock A780FullDisplayPort, which as the name implies it offers a DisplayPort connection for the integrated graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The "timed compilation" benchmarks are interesting, but would it be possible to compare AMD Phenom X3, X4 and Intel Core2 and Core Quad on a "timed compilation" benchmark ???
    All processors clocked at same speed, just to see the real differences between the various processors ? Knowing that GCC is a true multi-thread application.

In fact, I'm using Gentoo and asking myself how much the "true quad core design" of AMD Phenom can handle the massive cache of the Core2 family ??

If you can do it, such a test would be great !

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
      The "timed compilation" benchmarks are interesting, but would it be possible to compare AMD Phenom X3, X4 and Intel Core2 and Core Quad on a "timed compilation" benchmark ???
      All processors clocked at same speed, just to see the real differences between the various processors ? Knowing that GCC is a true multi-thread application.

In fact, I'm using Gentoo and asking myself how much the "true quad core design" of AMD Phenom can handle the massive cache of the Core2 family ??

If you can do it, such a test would be great !
      Unfortunately I don't have a Phenom X3 right now... Nor do I have a Phenom Quad, Intel Core 2, and Core 2 Quad that all operate at the same frequency, but I can try to manipulate the three to run at a common clock speed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That would be awesome to see such a test appear, as there is nowhere over internet where we can see linux specific benchmarks.

Thanks very much for your so fast answer and the time you'll spent on that test if you have time and pieces of hardware to do it.

Cheers.

Comment

The DisplayPort connection on the ASRock motherboard is a nice touch, but that will limit you to using the proprietary fglrx driver at this point.
          More importantly, I can't find a single display with a DisplayPort at any of my local dealers.

Comment

a comparison AMD 780G vs. nVidia 8300 would be nice

Comment

A 780G to Radeon HD 3200 (MCP78S) comparison is being worked on, but the disk controller on the NVIDIA chipset isn't working with Linux right now.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                the disk controller on the NVIDIA chipset isn't working with Linux right now.
                oh, that's good to know, i'm planning a new AM2+ system to replace my skt. 939 one, and i'm looking at what AMD and nVidia have to offer in the all integrated, hopefully low power motherboards, and this detail kinda removes the 8300 from my list for now

Comment

Working...
                X