NVIDIA Slaughters AMD Catalyst On Linux In OpenGL 4.x Micro-Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Slaughters AMD Catalyst On Linux In OpenGL 4.x Micro-Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA Slaughters AMD Catalyst On Linux In OpenGL 4.x Micro-Benchmarks

With the APITest OpenGL 4.x tests developed by John McDonald at NVIDIA who is now working for Valve on their Linux-related endeavors, the AMD Catalyst driver gets absolutely annihilated for these GL4 micro-benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this really news, though? Based on what I've heard...

NVidia's driver:
    - Clean and uber fast on Windows. Uses some extreme cheating for performance's sake sometimes... (I've heard some bad things about what this does to the OpenGL "compatibility")
    - Linux port is amazing, confirming clean code etc etc
    - A normal sized team, probably a similar number to the Windows driver (definitely smaller, though).

AMD's driver:
    - Pretty fast but buggy on Windows. It tries to stick more closely to API specs
    - Linux port is utter shit. Porting buggy Windows code probably isn't easy, and I feel sorry for them... more so because -
    - Tiny team (comparatively), not that they can help it. Half of their would-be members are working on the FOSS driver since AMD can't fucking pick a side.

Now do the same tests, but with OGL 3.x, and AMD using both Catalyst and FOSS drivers. That's what I'm interested in.

Comment

Are you serious? "developed by John McDonald at NVIDIA" Nuff said.

Comment

There are some fixes for AMD cards not merged yet

These changes were required for the GLSL shaders to compile on my AMD R9 270X running the 4.4.12874 drivers on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Added a TextureArrayMultiDrawBuffer solution, which uses a GL_DRAW_I...

Comment

I had multiple system-wide crashes on a daily basis the last time I tried an AMD card. Spent parts of a couple of weeks debugging with engineering assistance - all problems consistently pointed to the card. Switched it out for an Nvidia card and never had a problem again. I don't even run games or graphics intensive software under Linux - just some simple business stuff. Nvidia and Intel are smooth as silk - I figure why should I put myself through the misery with AMD? However, I respect them for trying, and I know AMD has a lot of fans for good reason. I just won't be one of them anytime in the near future.

Comment

OSS AMD drivers are definitely a good idea in case you used an older card. Fglrx lacks vdpau support and has wierd lags in source enigne games with slower cards.

Comment

I'm not to sure I can trust these benchmarks.

Can someone explain why GTX 750ti is outperforming the GTX 780ti in a bunch of the tests? The performance just doesn't match. Shouldn't it be 780ti > 680 > 750ti? That's almost never the case. I'm not 100% confident about this test. It all smells fishy I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by tusharkant15 View Post
                Can someone explain why GTX 750ti is outperforming the GTX 780ti in a bunch of the tests? The performance just doesn't match. Shouldn't it be 780ti > 680 > 750ti? That's almost never the case. I'm not 100% confident about this test. It all smells fishy I tell ya!
                It tests driver overhead, not raw gpu power.

Comment

Originally posted by tusharkant15 View Post
                  Don't worry about that , for me in three or four these tests my Kabini APU outperforms AMD dedicated cards .

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    - Linux port is utter shit. Porting buggy Windows code probably isn't easy, and I feel sorry for them... more so because
                    I am pretty happy with 14.6. (Almost) no reason to complain.

Comment

Working...
                    X