RadeonHD useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD useless?

What future does the radeonhd driver actually have? The "old" radeon driver quickly catched up and is now much further in development than radeonhd. What's the big problem radeonhd has with AtomBIOS?

AFAIK the 'radeon' driver still does about as much as bupkiss on my RadeonHD 2xxx AGP card - I would happily receive news that it is now otherwise but until then, I'm stickin' with the 'radeonhd' driver because it at least works.

Comment

The way I see it radeon driver has many features but it's a bit of experimental and not that stable (and I'm not talking only about git but last stable release too). Radeonhd on the other hand seems more polished and is rock stable from my experience but so far it lacks 3d and other usefull things ...

I wouldn't call radeonhd useless. I'm using fglrx right now just for the sake of nice video playback, but if I were to choose from radeon and radeonhd I would use radeonhd. Every radeon version I have tried so far had issues on my rs690. The most annoying one was the snow effect which just happened one out of five boots and not working switch to text console (that one is fixed since some time)...
      Last edited by val-gaav; 30 May 2008, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
        The way I see it radeon driver has many features but it's a bit of experimental and not that stable (and I'm not talking only about git but last stable release too). Radeonhd on the other hand seems more polished and is rock stable from my experience but so far it lacks 3d and other usefull things ...

Don't you think that radeonhd's lack of acceleration probably contributes to it's stability? The code in the radeon driver that has enabled 3d acceleration on the newer chips is/will be appearing in the radeonhd driver soon and I'll be interested to hear if it is magically more stable for you

Comment

I used radeon without dri enabled most of the time, so I don't think the 3d code is to blame.

I'm not into hardware programing but It might be the fact the radeon is an old code based on reverse engineering while radeonhd is a fresh start ... Maybe that's why it's more stable at the moment ?

I'll be sure to try radeonhd when it has the 3d support .

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
            I'll be sure to try radeonhd when it has the 3d support .
            It does already

Comment

Source? Radeon and fglrx do, but radeonhd..?

Comment

Comment

The radeonhd driver uses the same mesa and drm components as radeon, but was missing two things :

- dri support (code to initialize and communicate with drm); Matthias pushed it a week or two ago, and it was available in a personal branch before that

- ability for 2d and 3d acceleration to coexist (ie 2d and 3d both using drm to access the chip); being worked on now
                  Test signature

Comment

Wow, this is big.
                    I'll try to run XBMC (OpenGL) on a standalone Xorg when I got my 780G.

Comment

Working...
                    X