Linux Game Publishing Remains Offline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borsook View Post
    Don't you think that if you can't communicate with your kids so that they respect what they should not touch you have a more serious problems on your hands?

That said, steam offline mode had serious problems in the past, not any more, and you've even had a proof in this thread that it works without being logged in previously...
    Really now? You expect a 5 year old not to explore everything they can get to? I fully expect him to eventually crack the code by brute force(it's only 4 digit base 10, so theres only 10000 possible combos) just as I did to the child locks on the cable box to watch channels I wasn't supposed to when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
      Well.

I get your point. STEAM is on Linux TODAY.

And GoG.com still not.

But don't forget they promished Linux support for the fall of this year.

And I have no doubt they'll acomplish.
      that is the least of the problem. just look how they approached whole witcher 2 fiasco. since CDP and GOG are sister companies, i doubt GOG will do it any different in case of linux

whole time, not even one single response from CDP. VP responded,... CDP? not one single word. or witcher 3 example, just look how many were people asking them about the fact that steamos was mentioned in one banner only while everywhere else, they don't even mention it. no confirmation, no denial,... nothing. i get that linux is 3rd rate in customer scale, but in CDP case it amounts to non existent. although, some people did get negative responses for linux w3 like "so far only win,ps4,xbone are in plans"

and i'm almost willing to bet my balls, that galaxy client will be wrapper based. same as most of their linux offerings. which i wouldn't mind if it worked and they at least shown 0.000001% of interest in their linux customers.

so, far... CDP/GOG is like company that thinks linux crowd will be happy if you simply throw anything at them and then switch to ignore

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        News about lack of news about an irrelevant company.
        That is a joke?
        LGP had published and ported many games to Linux since 2001 to 2009 when many companies did want to do it. Can you indicate a company who published more games to Linux in that period of the time?

I can not understand why a new CEO of LGP has became a person who was well-known only for the LGP employees and Michel Simms. We do not know how many games he has ported to Linux

The only thing that we can observe that Clive Crous want to spend more time on Nethack than games published by LGP.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          that is the least of the problem. just look how they approached whole witcher 2 fiasco. since CDP and GOG are sister companies, i doubt GOG will do it any different in case of linux

whole time, not even one single response from CDP. VP responded,... CDP? not one single word. or witcher 3 example, just look how many were people asking them about the fact that steamos was mentioned in one banner only while everywhere else, they don't even mention it. no confirmation, no denial,... nothing. i get that linux is 3rd rate in customer scale, but in CDP case it amounts to non existent. although, some people did get negative responses for linux w3 like "so far only win,ps4,xbone are in plans"

and i'm almost willing to bet my balls, that galaxy client will be wrapper based. same as most of their linux offerings. which i wouldn't mind if it worked and they at least shown 0.000001% of interest in their linux customers.

so, far... CDP/GOG is like company that thinks linux crowd will be happy if you simply throw anything at them and then switch to ignore
          So a game company executive is not talking about a game still in development?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            So a game company executive is not talking about a game still in development?

if you think your answer had anything in common with what i said, then better follow your advice. if it needed classification... complete miss, just when did i mention lack of commercializing their game? and since when is commercializing same as answering posted question?

there was one banner with mentioned steamos, but no linux icon. day later there was a promotion and only platforms mentioned were win, ps4, xbone. and another and so on. at that point people started asking question if it is really coming or not. so far, not even "NO" was answered.

Comment

I don't know what CDP/GoG will do with Witcher 3 or Galaxy client.

But you are forgetting that Linux support is primarly to include Linux binaries (and installers) of games that already were ported to Linux.

That's what 99% of Linux gamers asked for in GoG site's petition page.

And that's a reasonabily easy task to acomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                And that's a reasonabily easy task to acomplish.
                i can acomplish that with wine, thanks. and at same time i can select best performing version. though, i give you benefit on that one, most people can't set it up alone and will be happier if it at least works. but, GOG won't see my money in that case

Comment

if you think your answer had anything in common with what i said, then better follow your advice. if it needed classification... complete miss, just when did i mention lack of commercializing their game? and since when is commercializing same as answering posted question?

there was one banner with mentioned steamos, but no linux icon. day later there was a promotion and only platforms mentioned were win, ps4, xbone. and another and so on. at that point people started asking question if it is really coming or not. so far, not even "NO" was answered.
                  Could you please try to be more of an entitled jackass? kthxby

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    I pity the foo that tries to argue with Mr. T.

Vavle's DRM exists to have a far more draconian DRM implemented differently by every publisher out there. Valve's DRM is far more agreeable for the end user then any other DRM scheme out there and most devs prefer to use it over their own solution when selling games via the Steam store, but still user their own DRM in other stores, which has been shown to casue sales numbers on those other shops to be much lower then they are on Steam.

On the other hand, to get some publishers to put their games on Steam at all Valve allows any company to add in their own DRM on top of their game, but very few companies do so and Valve lists it quite clearly when they do so, this results in most people preferring to pirate those games as their DRM is completely anti-consumer like those used by EA and Ubisoft.
                    I remember a time when Origin still didn't exist and was EA Download Manager.
                    At that time, the use of that client was merely to download the game in question and to act?vate it via Internet. No more.

You didn't have to run the client to execute the games, nor being connected to Internet.

I also remember I could share some games with a friend without share my account details.
                    Yes, only passing him the folder with the downloaded game contents and the activation key, he could play Dead Space 1 and 2.

But one day EA decided that the users "need to enjoy their fancy Internet server add-ons" and change the way the users execute the games, adding the need of permanent Internet connection and client running on background.

And that means, that now, to play the games I purschased at that time, I need to use that restrictive shit.
                    Since Origin I haven't buy a single game from EA.

Maybe I see the things the way you read the previous posts because I'm scald for this.

I learnt that the part of an EULA where is explained the type of thing you buy (good or service) it's very important and that the "the publisher reserves the rights to change the conditions without approval of the customer" thing is a blank check you should better don't sign.

I also mistrust Valve.

They were the inventors of the Internet DRM at the very begin of STEAM with the release of Half Life 2.
                    Since that, the other distributors start to copy the Valve's strategy with more or less accuracy.

And they could say that G.E.M is only an optional feature, but they didn't lead by example, because all Valve's games were tied with DRM.

This article is the proof that DRM based distribution (even if it's more or less permissive) in the long run it's a bad deal.
                    Last edited by DebianLinuxero; 16 June 2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Steam's "DRM"

Hi, this post by Ethan Lee (well-regarded Linux porter) on Google+ talks about the common case of people thinking a game on Steam has DRM, and about Steamworks and how even that can be used without it being DRM or needing to be online: The problem with DRM....
                      In there, he mentions a tweet by Ryan Gordon (icculus), about the most common reason people think Steamworks is DRM: Only checking for a 1, and exiting on a 0.

The post by Ethan is fantastic anyway, and some of the things he mentions could be possible in the 2nd-to-last paragraph are amazing,

Comment

Working...
                      X