Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Still waiting to see this miracle in action...
    If you mean after digging through steam's files and launching using the .bin, then yes, but 90% of people don't do that.

No internet connection? GOG.com games still install & work just fine. (provided you have the installers backed up).

Serafean
    how you install a game via internet without internet? lol

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      how you install a game via internet without internet? lol
      Dude, you even quoted the important part :
      (provided you have the installers backed up).
      Or from CD? Once upon a time there wasn't the necessity to have internet to be able to use a computer.

all you get is "Connection unavailable. Do you want to start in offline?".
      Which works only if you left the client logged in. I don't have the option to automatically login enabled (remember credentials), and when I don't have connectivity, steam won't start. Just my personnal experience : 10 games virtually unplayable for 2 weeks because of an internet failure.

Comment

Or from CD? Once upon a time there wasn't the necessity to have internet to be able to use a computer.

Which works only if you left the client logged in. I don't have the option to automatically login enabled (remember credentials), and when I don't have connectivity, steam won't start. Just my personnal experience : 10 games virtually unplayable for 2 weeks because of an internet failure.

I just logged out and pulled the ethernet cable, heres the result of starting Steam with no connection:

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          I just logged out and pulled the ethernet cable, heres the result of starting Steam with no connection:

lol, picture is worth 1000 words. the 1st one... 1000000

then again, maybe the games he was trying were DOTA, L4D2... where there is a real shame on valve. how can they make multiplayer only game that doesn't work without internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            Offtopic: Your cinnamon theme... give me the name...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Offtopic: Your cinnamon theme... give me the name...
              It looks like he uses lxde, not cinnamon

Comment

Originally posted by FarJumper View Post
                It looks like he uses lxde, not cinnamon
                I am like, 99% sure that's Linux Mint Cinnamon edition...
                But to be fair, I've never used Lxde, so I don't really have anything to compare it to :/

I like the font too. Give me that name too!!

Comment

God, without any source of income, how do you expect them to live on and prosper?

They have no money, nor manpower to run their servers or develop anything.

Count them dead. Being them I'd have already joined Valve and stopped this agony.

Comment

The highlighted bit is your problem. When you disable offline mode(or technically a feature required for it to work) then offline mode doesn't work! What a surprise!

I have an extremely shoddy internet connection and I have NEVER had an issue with Steam's offline mode. I don't even need to put Steam in to offline mode it figures that out all by it self. It just continues to work even when I lose my connection.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                      if game depends on online, that is not steam related. same as DRM. both things are just options put to developers to their own decision.
                      This argument is as tricky as MS UEFI Secure Boot's.

Supposingly to make a more secure boot against viruses.

It's the boardmakers decision to put an option to disable it, yes we know the tale.
                      And is the decision of the distros to support it or not.

But in the end, all know that it's a shenanigan to prevent install Linux, or make it difficult to do so, or to restrict what kernel you could install on.
                      And that MS is forcing some boradmakers and brands to not include an option to disable it.

With Steam's DRM (is G.E.M. its name?) is the same.

Is one of those "options" you wish never exist.

Better for us if the developers didn't have that choice and release all games DRM-less, ala GoG.com.

Comment

Working...
                      X