Linux 2D Performance: Nouveau vs. NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    RV630 is the exception, though, not the rule. It's a strange little card that came out while AMD wasn't supporting the OSS drivers, and has never been supported properly. AMD is focusing their work on getting new cards to run rather than going back to work on the old cards. Get something from the Evergreen generation, and you'll have a completely different experience.
    Maybe you are right but that doesn't change the fact that this GPU is working as it should on Windows. From the point that they abandoned Linux blob support, they should have had a proper open-source driver if they respect their buyers.

Personally for example I will NEVER buy AMD GPU again for that reason. I have a GTX 570 in my Desktop and it is working fantastic from Ubuntu 11.10 I first installed a Linux OS.

I can play any Linux supported Steam game without any single problem and with equal performance to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by IsacDaavid View Post
      Reverse-engineering Nvidia's unacceptable blackboxes isn't a trivial task. Nouveau developers are doing an outstanding job out of no documentation and no support.
      Not no support, but rather only basic support.
      Last edited by ArchLinux; 15 June 2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
        Not no support, but rather only basic support.
        Nouveau has full 3D/2D support except reclocking and lacks some more exotic functions like cuda and video acceleration.

IMHO, nouveau is anything but basic. nVidia's contributions to it's codebase is an argument in that direction.

Comment

I'm thinking about the results.

What's the reason?

Algorithm optimizations?

Or may be that 2D isn't as "basic" feature as I think and need things like reclocking?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            Nouveau has full 3D/2D support except reclocking and lacks some more exotic functions like cuda and video acceleration.

IMHO, nouveau is anything but basic. nVidia's contributions to it's codebase is an argument in that direction.
            I think you misread that, because it was about Nvidia's support to Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
              Nouveau is only for experimental and development purposes. It is unable to provide acceptable quality for a regular user with modern hardware. And if you look the radeon/radeonsi situation that is still far from complete experience, I think nouveau will be in good shape in 7-10 years if ever!
              What the OSS Radeon drivers where capable of 9 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                What the OSS Radeon drivers where capable of 9 months ago.

That is outstanding. Really impressive. I did not know they were *that* far. There should be a Phoronix article about this. Something shiny instead of all those benchmark numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  That is outstanding. Really impressive. I did not know they were *that* far. There should be a Phoronix article about this. Something shiny instead of all those benchmark numbers.
                  Not really news. As he said, these things were possible for a long time. I have 87 games in steam and only one of them is not playable with r600g: The Witcher 2
                  But there are a lot that work like TF2, Goat Simulator (), Kerbal Space Program, L4D2, Civ 5, Antichamber, Prison Architect, ...

Comment

Working...
                  X