Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux 2D Performance: Nouveau vs. NVIDIA

Default Linux 2D Performance: Nouveau vs. NVIDIA

Phoronix: Linux 2D Performance: Nouveau vs. NVIDIA

After last weekend delivering 30-way Intel/AMD/NVIDIA 2D Linux benchmarks this weekend I have some results comparing the GeForce GPU performance for 2D operations between the open-source Nouveau driver and the closed-source proprietary NVIDIA Linux driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20543

Nouveau is only for experimental and development purposes. It is unable to provide acceptable quality for a regular user with modern hardware. And if you look the radeon/radeonsi situation that is still far from complete experience, I think nouveau will be in good shape in 7-10 years if ever!

Well, as soon as reclocking will work, nouveau will be on par if not better in 2d performance with the blob.

Hmm, the nouveau results sure are flat in most tests...

Why is Nouveau so slow? Is the real reason lack of reclocking support?

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Nouveau is only for experimental and development purposes.
    No.

It is unable to provide acceptable quality for a regular user with modern hardware.
    Lack of reclocking is making newer cards indeed perform worse than their full potential if you compare them to their predecessor.

And if you look the radeon/radeonsi situation that is still far from complete experience, I think nouveau will be in good shape in 7-10 years if ever!
    Most Radeon cards work nicely.

As for nVidia cards, feel free to stick with the blob.

Quote Originally Posted by fincan View Post
    Why is Nouveau so slow? Is the real reason lack of reclocking support?
    Reverse-engineering Nvidia's unacceptable blackboxes isn't a trivial task. Nouveau developers are doing an outstanding job out of no documentation and no support.

Except for the gtkperf tests, these results are actually very nice considering the lack of reclocking. Seriously if nouveau can gain reclocking for all chips, this will be huge for them. It'll give us a solid understanding of where they're really falling behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    No.

Lack of reclocking is making newer cards indeed perform worse than their full potential if you compare them to their predecessor.

Most Radeon cards work nicely.

You don't understand what I mean. To put it straight. in 7-10 years if ever, might be able to load properly a game like Metro LL.

I have a RV630 and half of the games have corrupt graphics and performance is like 20-40% of Windows.

Real games like Metro LL, Wargame E.E., Portal, HL2, FM2014 etc not Xonotic-like games.

I am forced to deal with Windows malware/viruses and suffer antivirus/antimalware software performance impact, just to be able to play light games like Portal or FM2014 in my HTPC. AMD Radeon drivers for gaming in comparison to Windows 13.9 Catalyst are SHIT!
    Last edited by verde; 06-14-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    I do. We are talking about Nouveau here I think...